DC Restaurants Offer Cuisines From Across the World

PURPLE PATCH DC

Purple Patch

Columbia Heights, $$

Purple Patch is a Filipino restaurant and bar located in Columbia Heights that offers an assortment of Filipino as well as American fare and a variety of drinks. The restaurant prepares all of its food skillfully, but its traditional Filipino dishes, including the sizzling pork belly and egg dish called sisig, traditional Filipino egg rolls called lumpia, and the pork adobo, shine as standouts. The restaurant also serves desserts made with ube, a purple yam that adds an earthy, starchy sweetness to the menu. Purple Patch is open Monday through Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., Friday from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

LOS HERMANOS DOMINICAN RESTAURANT

Los Hermanos

Columbia Heights, $

Los Hermanos is a casual, counter-serve spot in Columbia Heights that offers delicious Dominican food at a reasonable price. The restaurant is good for a quick meal, and its food portions are well-sized for their price. It provides many different options that allow customers to customize their meal and find their favorite combination of ingredients. This spot also sells imported Dominican sodas that augment the authenticity of the experience, while the energetic music played inside helps create a pleasant environment. Open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m Sunday, Los Hermanos is an excellent restaurant to check out for a good, casual lunch or to satisfy a craving for Caribbean food.

RASIKA WEST END/FACEBOOK

Rasika West End 

Dupont Circle, $$$

Rasika West End is an Indian restaurant near DuPont Circle that offers both excellent Indian staples and some more uncommon dishes. The restaurant serves a delicious palak chaat, which features crispy fried spinach served with sauces and certainly lives up to its acclaim as a flavorful and distinctly textured dish. The meals are fairly expensive, but this standard is reflected in both the quality of the food and the ambience of the restaurant. Open from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday, and from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m Sunday, Rasika West End follows through on its promise to deliver well-made, contemporary Indian food with a sophisticated, comfortable atmosphere.

ZAYTINYA/FACEBOOK

Zaytinya

Penn Quarter, $$$

Zaytinya is a José Andrés restaurant with a lively, welcoming environment for enjoying Eastern Mediterranean-style small plates. Andrés, an internationally acclaimed chef, humanitarian and founder of ThinkFoodGroup, is one of the commencement speakers for this year’s graduation. His restaurant, Zaytinya, is located in Penn Quarter, near Capital One Arena. Even though the spacious restaurant is constantly bustling with people, Zaytinya’s sleek decor and casual atmosphere create the perfect balance between upscale dining and a family restaurant. Zaytinya offers the Chef’s Experience, which includes small plates and shared plates for $65 per person. Zaytinya is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Monday, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Tuesday to Thursday, and from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. Friday to Saturday. An enjoyable taste of Mediterranean cuisine makes Zaytinya an appealing choice for a high-end lunch or dinner.

AMANDA M/YELP

Miss Saigon

Georgetown (M Street), $$

Located on M Street, Miss Saigon serves excellent, authentic Vietnamese food. The restaurant caters to many different tastes, so even picky eaters are likely to find something satisfying. The caramel Chilean sea bass is a highlight as a flavorful fish option that is both enjoyable to eat and neatly prepared. The appetizers can bring together the whole table, and the fried chicken wings are seasoned perfectly and served with a house sauce. Miss Saigon offers these Vietnamese selections at a range of prices that can fit most tastes and wallets. It is open from 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m Sunday through Thursday and from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

KAFE LEOPOLD’S

Kafe Leopold

Georgetown (Cady’s Alley), $$

Kafe Leopold is located in Cady’s Alley, just off M Street. The cafe blends traditional Austrian food with a modern sensibility and aesthetic that makes for a refreshing choice during a casual day out in the Georgetown area. It includes savory dishes like its smoked salmon lachspizzetta, alongside pastries and assorted desserts and salads. Open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Tuesday, from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, and from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. Friday and Saturday, the lighter fare of Kafe Leopold makes it a pleasant lunch or dinner spot in a cozy environment nestled right by the Potomac.