VIEWPOINT: Integrate Happiness Into Everyday Life

There is a clear shortage of joy in our modern life. And that’s understandable. With a rapid increase in globalization and the prevalence of bad news from around the world, we now have access to every part of the earth whenever we want to see it. But we aren’t always finding very joy-inducing things. Moreover, as rates of depression and anxiety have skyrocketed worldwide with the onslaught of the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become more difficult for many people to experience joy because of serious mental health issues they have no control over.

Nevertheless, recognizing joy in our lives is essential for our physical and psychological well-being. One could call this article many things: a naive paean in a world gone wrong, an empty encomium ringing uselessly in a weekly student newspaper, a waste of ink. But, in the tradition of Beethoven, I’ll call it an ode to joy. It may be naive, empty and a waste. But I also think it’s important, no matter how simple it may seem.

Let’s first consider laughter, one of our most potent and palpable expressions of joy. As Jennifer Aaker and Naomi Bagdonas, two renowned lecturers at Stanford Business School, put it in their brilliant Ted Talk on the importance of humor, “As far as our brains are concerned, laughing is like exercising, meditating and having sex at the same time.” Laughter not only brings joy — it’s actually good for us. When we laugh, we feel happier, calmer and more bonded with those around us.

The same is true for smiling. Smiling releases endorphins, relieves stress and, according to some studies, can even make you live longer. In fact, research has found that the mere act of smiling can improve your mood. Adopting a cheerful facial expression can, in a way, deceive your brain into boosting your mood and making you feel happier.

So, for your own enjoyment, and possibly for your longevity as well, find things that make you smile and laugh. In fact, prioritize them. Despite how overwhelming the state of the world can be, a good life requires finding and prioritizing the things that bring you joy.

To be clear, this isn’t to say we should adopt a mindset of complete hedonism. A myopic focus on happiness at the expense of everything else is just as pernicious as neglecting happiness altogether. We must instead work to find balance in our lives.

But we are slowly losing this balance as people find less and less joy in their lives. The Ted Talk mentions another essential study for our purposes: the humor cliff. A million people were asked, “Did you smile or laugh a lot yesterday?” When people are under 25 and over 80, a majority answer yes. In the middle, though, there’s a sharp decrease in how many respond affirmatively. Thus, there is a humor cliff — a distinct drop in how much joy we feel, and more importantly, find in our day-to-day lives. Given that most of us at Georgetown University are still in the time before this precipitous drop, we must begin to look for joy in our lives now, and build these habits so they persist through the years afflicted by the cliff.

Happiness doesn’t present itself neatly on a silver platter. Often, unfortunately, it can be difficult to find. This is why we must prioritize it, even if that means occasionally pushing some more traditional priorities, such as school or work, to the wayside. Joy isn’t the only important component of life, but for our own well-being, it must at least be treated as an essential aspect of a successful life. 

For this reason, we must be active seekers of joy at Georgetown and beyond. That could mean going for a walk on a beautiful day, finding someone you love to spend time with, going to bed a little earlier so you wake up feeling refreshed or even putting down this paper or closing your laptop to give your mind a break. Joy must be a central pursuit in our lives. Whatever it takes, and it will undoubtedly be different for everyone, ensure that when you’re asked, “Did you smile or laugh a lot yesterday?”, you can proudly and promptly say yes.

Life isn’t about being happy all the time. But to make life worthwhile, you must find moments of joy. It isn’t simply something we can luck into. Every day, we must wake up and make the conscious choice to prioritize our search. On campus and throughout life, we must look for joy.

Liam McGraw is a first-year in the College.