The Kennedy Center Lets the Good Times Roll: Ben Rector & Cody Fry Perform with the National Symphony Orchestra

★★★★★

Imagine hearing a viral TikTok sound transcribed by a Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter, played by a world-renowned symphony. Unreal, right? Well, for two nights in January, this was reality at the Kennedy Center’s Concert Hall. 

As an intermission from his string of concerts titled “The Old Friends Tour,” Ben Rector was joined by Cody Fry for a two-night-only show in Washington, D.C. 

I had been invited to the music hall by a childhood friend. Flying all the way from Arizona just to see the pair, she clearly anticipated a remarkable experience. While I hoped to match her excitement, I have to be honest: I really did not know who these guys were.

The morning of the concert, I began researching the two performers. Based in Nashville, Tenn., and having garnered some serious acclaim as multi-instrumentalist pop stars, being able to see Rector and Fry in tandem was a bigger deal than I initially realized. To top it off, I was still completely unaware that the two would be performing with the National Symphony Orchestra! 

After our quick Uber from campus, I grabbed a Diet Coke and Twizzlers at the concessions, ready for an upbeat show. But upon entering the concert hall, we were surrounded by Swedish chandeliers, acoustic canopies and a beautiful organ. Most importantly, sitting atop the stage was the full orchestra practicing diligently before the act began. At this moment, stunned by the grandeur of the cultural center’s architecture, I thought two things: this is going to be incredible — and maybe I should’ve worn a dress. 

Bursting onto the stage, dressed in a full suit and tie, the duo immediately broke the ice by acknowledging their own uncomfortability in the fanciful outfits. It seemed that Rector and Fry’s full intention was to play the Kennedy Center like a hometown backyard reunion — just with the help of a first-chair violinist. 

With widened smiles and heads banging, the two began harmonizing their vocals and playing their instruments with animated gestures and facial expressions. Tried and true performers, the duo never forgot to engage the audience with playful jokes and impromptu music games, making up third verses on the spot and employing the audience as chorus members. 

Over the next 90 minutes, they brought an intangible excitement to the stage.

Starting with Rector, his setlist featured quintessential 2010s feel-good music like “Brand New” and “Forever Like That.” While lyrically, these songs exude a childlike joy, Rector’s distinctly folk sound brought a warm and homey earnestness to the stage. His playful artistry was not only welcoming to the crowd, but also allowed for the modest sounds of the orchestra to be highlighted. 

My favorite moment from the night came from Fry’s accompaniment of Claire de Lune transitioning into his 2021 hit “Photograph. Featuring the robust sound of the entire symphony, it was a breathtaking number that left the audience speechless. Fry conveyed that he had been waiting to play the arrangement as an admirer of Claude Debussy’s work, extremely emotional during his speech. 

While the showing would have been breathtaking with just one singer, the two together were absolutely electric. Pairing together unique musicians like Rector and Fry allowed for a vivacity many concerts lack. As the two ran back and forth, trading posts at the grand piano and guitar stand, the audience was never bored. It became extremely clear just how prodigious the artists were, as they perfectly married their sounds with the orchestra. 

I was left with only one question after the show: “How did this concert even come to fruition?” My guess is that the Kennedy Center was hoping to attract a more diverse audience, and by the looks of it, they did. Looking towards the stage, not only could you catch a glimpse of distinguished conductor Gianandrea Noseda, but you could also see an 18-year-old fanboy waving his “I Love You Ben” poster by the choristers. 

This concert was music for music people — pure entertainment in the form of sensory overload. The intensely conducted orchestral body was perfectly juxtaposed against the jollity of the two Nashville pop artists. I want to thank my friend for getting me off the Hilltop for a show I simply won’t forget. The Kennedy Center will be seeing a lot more of me soon.