Record Number of Hoyas Receive Public Service Fellowships

54 Georgetown students are finalists this year for a prestigious program intended to prepare them for careers in public service — the most finalists out of any academic institution.

The 54 students are among 850 finalists from over 10,000 applicants to join the U.S. Presidential Management Fellows Program, which gives fellows the opportunity to cultivate their public leadership skills with two years of rotational training in federal agencies. 

The fellows hail from three undergraduate schools and four graduate schools of Georgetown and bring a variety of perspectives and interests to the program, according to the Georgetown University press release

Zsofia Deak (GRD ’23), a Presidential Management Fellow (PMF), said that while the program was not on her radar until after she entered Georgetown’s Master of Science in Foreign Service program, her interest in receiving valuable career experience and mentorship inspired her to apply.

“What led me to apply was my interest in a career in public service,” Deak told The Hoya. “I’ve always wanted to work in government, and saw the PMF as a great opportunity to get leadership and mentorship experience — and get exposure to different government agencies and bureaus.”

Deak said that while her ideal posting would be within the U.S. Department of State, she feels that keeping an open mind will enable her to prepare for a diplomatic career wherever she is posted in the PMF program.

“My long-term ambition is to be a diplomat,” Deak said. “I think this two-year leadership experience will give me relevant skills and understanding of how the government, State Department, work in pursuit of that long term goal.”

Michelle Hanssen (GRD ’23), a PMF specializing in Russia and Eurasia, said her interest in the program started after a professor encouraged her to look into it.  

“After attending an information session, I thought the PMF would be an excellent opportunity, at the very least, to expand my idea of what it might mean to work in the federal government–and how my somewhat specific, interdisciplinary, area studies background might be useful or applicable,” Hanssen wrote to The Hoya. 

Deak said she took advantage of assistance from the Career Center throughout the application process, and she encourages prospective applicants to seek out these resources.

Georgetown University | 54 Georgetown University students were selected as Presidential Management Program Fellows and will receive two years of rotational training and mentorship to prepare for careers in public service.

“My advice to anyone aspiring to apply for PMF is to just go for it,” Deak said. “It’s not a super involved application. There’s nothing to lose by submitting an application, and work with the Career Center, because they have a lot of important insight and knowledge about the process and what to expect.”

Hannah Barrett (GRD ’23) said that the PMF program will provide her with an invaluable opportunity to advance her career interests in security studies.

“I have always been interested in government jobs, but it can be difficult to get your foot in the door outside of programs like the PMF, so this was the perfect opportunity,” Barrett wrote to The Hoya.

Barrett said she feels the structure of the program will positively impact her initial experience working in the federal government.

“I think the PMF program gives recent graduates the chance to make a tangible impact early on in their careers, and I’m excited to take advantage of the rotation program which allows PMFs to try out multiple roles throughout their appointments,” Barrett said.

“At this early stage I can confidently state that there is much to be gained from going through the application and interview process even if you’re not certain where your next steps will lead–and the PMF is relatively straightforward,” Hanssen wrote.