Sticking the Landing: ‘Sex Education’ Season 4 Ends the Series With A Bang

★★★★☆

After four seasons of quirky characters, irreverent humor and surprisingly deep philosophical insights, the Netflix original comedy-drama “Sex Education” has come to an end. Although viewers may be disappointed that they can no longer visit the colorful Moordale Secondary School, home to many of the show’s characters over the past three seasons, the final entry of “Sex Education” demonstrated how a show can continue to succeed and resonate with fans even after a change of setting and a shift in recurring cast members. 

“Sex Education” did not lose its roots, maturely discussing the often silenced and stigmatized details of sexual intimacy for teenagers and adults and exposing what it means to be human. The television series worked to cover numerous topics relevant to every type of person and endeavored to quell familiar feelings of isolation or shame in its audience — all done against the backdrop of its irreverent soundtrack.

The most evident and impressive aspect of Season 4 was its commitment to representing people of all races, abilities, genders, sexualities, backgrounds and body types. In particular, it explored the lives, challenges and relationships of transgender and nonbinary people more than in previous seasons, introducing two major trans characters, Abbi Montgomery and Roman, to join nonbinary Cal Bowman. 

“Sex Education” does not shy away from heavier topics such as unsupportive families, homeless transgender youth, body and gender dysmorphia and suicidal ideation. Abbi, Roman and Aisha Green, a deaf astrology enthusiast, make up a popular clique at the cast’s new school, the progressive Cavendish College, and represent an effort to add more noncisgender and disabled people to the conversation about sex. 

Aisha and Isaac Goodwin, a loveable grump who uses a wheelchair and was introduced in Season 2, speak up about ableism and the pain of being an afterthought to nondisabled people. Additionally, Eric Effiong, protagonist Otis Milburn’s best friend, continues reconciling his identities as both a devout Christian and a gay man, assisted by Abbi, who maintains her religious beliefs despite excommunication from her church. 

The new season also earns its drama label by heavily emphasizing the realistic trials all types of families face. Jean Milburn, Otis’ mother, copes with the highs and lows of having a newborn and being an older sister, revisiting her uncomfortable childhood and coming to terms with her faults. Unsurprisingly, having two children with a 17-year age difference and a successful career is more challenging than was planned. 

Maeve Wiley, the main female protagonist, grapples with strained connections with her older brother and her mother, both of whom have issues with substance abuse. While she is away in the United States at the gifted program she was accepted to last season, Maeve looks back on everything she is leaving behind for greener pastures. 

For the dysfunctional Groff family, the emotional realities of divorce and tense father-son relationships bring out the best and the worst in Adam and his parents, Maureen and Michael. At the same time, Adam works through his feelings about his bisexuality after finally coming out to his parents in Season 3. Family dynamics have always been an important aspect of “Sex Education,” but this season, it took an even more intense inside look at the darker side of domestic life. 

As our favorite young cast members prepare to graduate from secondary school and arrange their plans for life after Moordale, viewers watch them grow up and begin dealing with complex adult issues. Maeve, Eric and Adam ponder where they would like to see themselves in their future careers and whether their chosen paths reflect who they are and want to be. 

Otis; Ruby Matthews, a former mean girl at Moordale Secondary; and Otis’ new sex therapist rival, Sarah “O” Owen, discover the truth about human complexity — how no person is only good or bad and that people can make mistakes and have faults without being a villain. 

Aimee Gibbs finally confronts her feelings about her sexual assault in Season 2, and other characters encounter abusive relationships, bringing to light the devastating and uncomfortable sides of sexual and romantic interactions. 

All in all, while the show had its fair share of faults and plot holes, “Sex Education” was groundbreaking in handling traditionally taboo topics and fostered acceptance for all kinds of people, managing to be a laugh-out-loud comedy and a profound commentary on the fundamentals of relationships and life at the same time. Audiences are sure to miss the rich characterizations, quirky humor, inclusive stories and poignant themes that have made “Sex Education” one of Netflix’s finest series to date.