Preliminary Plans for Leavey Center Dorm Released

During the most recent round of negotiations regarding the university’s 2010 Campus Plan, Georgetown committed to housing 90 percent of undergraduates on campus by the year 2025. As part of the promise, the university is aiming to provide housing for 385 students in the Leavey Center.

The decision to convert the Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center into a dorm by the fall of 2014 was announced last year, and updated plans were made available this week. According to university spokeswoman Stacy Kerr, the converted space would allow for about 250 beds. The university recently announced that it expects to construct three additional floors to accommodate the remaining 135 residents.

The university submitted preliminary versions of the plans for the addition during the final Zoning Commission hearing on the campus plan earlier this month. Kerr said that design work will begin in the next few months. The university plans to keep the height of the renovated building equal to the height of the current structure at its highest point and to build from the hotel tower toward the university bookstore. Plans for the addition must be approved by the Old Georgetown Board and the Commission for Fine Arts before construction can begin.

The Hoya previously reported that the conversion of the hotel area is expected to cost about $8 million, which does not include potential revenue losses from the discontinuation of the hotel. It is not yet clear how much the construction of the addition will cost or when it is scheduled to open.

Created with flickr slideshow.