SAFE Pitches Continue

The GUSA Endowment Committee heard four more allocation proposals for the $3.4 million left in the Student Activities Fee Endowment on Tuesday, voting to keep talks of performing arts space renovations and a database for community service options on the table.

The most popularly received presentation was the proposal to revamp Riverside Lounge, which many performing groups use as a rehearsal space.

Catherine Razeto (COL ’13), a member of Georgetown’s Irish American Society’s dance group, presented images of the damaged walls in the space and discussed a possible addition of hardwood floors and mirrors.

“It’s a nice big space, it’s just really not up to par for our dance groups,” she said.

Razeto also presented a cost estimate, emphasizing that the renovations would only require 0.6 percent of the endowment. However, commission members said they were reluctant to set aside funds for a space that is already slated for a revival as part of the 2010 Campus Plan’s New South Student Center proposal.

The commission voted not to table the proposal, as the endowment can allocate funds to up to five different projects, according to Committee Chair Andrew Curtis (MSB ’11).

Two other proposals included funding for community service based projects. The committee voted to table a proposal for expanded funding for Alternative Spring Break trips, but said they would consider creation of a service database that would consolidate information from various student groups.

“Many of the groups that presented may fit under the section of an alternative recommendation should the primary recommendation of the committee not work out,” Curtis said.

Emily O’Connor (CED ’14), a student in the School of Continuing Studies, proposed a designated place to serve as a storage and gathering space for students who live off campus.

“We just feel disconnected from the campus,” she said. “It might help us connect with the university and other non-traditional students.”

Melissa Miller (COL ’12), who represents the Performing Arts Advisory Council on the committee, said she thought storage space was a great idea.

“I think lockers would be a huge benefit. I fortunately have access to an office here. I leave the house with eight bags and drop four of them in that office,” she said.

Many committee members said they did not feel that undergraduate funds should be dedicated to non-traditional students and voted to table the proposal.

At next Tuesday’s meeting, presentations will be heard for two highly anticipated proposals, the Healy Pub project and the Social Innovation Public Service fund, which aims to provide seed money to student-led social enterprises.

“I feel like this opportunity may never happen again for Georgetown students to have this much control over where money actually goes. I think this is important because whatever we decide to do, will certainly benefit students for years to come,” Curtis said.