Going Out to Dinner: The Leo’s Option

swankgraphicYes, you read the title correctly. As a place Hoyas love to hate and hate to love, Leo’s rarely makes your list of the top 10 places to eat in Georgetown. Nonetheless, we here at 4E are still determined to maintain our hope in Leo’s. Leo’s has just unveiled a new option for diners in which Leo’s employees will wait on your table and bring you a three course meal. While this sounds lovely for those of us looking for any chance to avoid walking (everyone), it’s probably not a practical option for every visit to O’Donovan’s on the Waterfront. So we’ve devised a way to create a lavish meal yourself. Not only do we believe a good meal is possible at Leo’s, but we’d venture to say a good swanky three-course meal is possible. After all, most students are on some sort of meal plan, so why spend more money on food when it is already available?

whenever_my_school_has_free_food-353521. Starting off with a throwback recipe, we propose preparing some cheesy garlic bread. After all, what fine dining experience is complete without the right bread option? From either the wok or pasta station upstairs, ask for a spoonful or two of garlic. Then, head to the bread station, typically located right next to the soup station, and grab some of your favorite bread. Spread some butter onto your bread, and then spread on the bits of garlic. Later, add on one or two pieces of your favorite cheese. Finally, head over to the panini press and toast the bread for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese melts. Be sure to toast the bread with the butter sides facing inward for a softer, tastier center.

2. Next, we move on to the salad course. Here, the dish really depends on each individual Hoya’s preferences. Are you a lettuce or a spinach fan? Croutons or no croutons? And don’t get me started on the dressing possibilities. To help ease the stress of so many options, here is one simple salad creation. Fill up a bowl with lettuce, sliced celery from the new hummus/veggie station, red peppers, onions, tomatoes and cucumbers. Add in some Italian dressing, mix it up and voilà!

3. Now, for the main course. While not the fanciest of meal choices, a chicken quesadilla still remains one of my personal favorite dishes. In addition, Leo’s usually has most of the necessary ingredients. Grab a tortilla from the sandwich bread rack and put in some chopped up pieces of chicken, red or green peppers, black beans from the salad bar, corn, onions and, if you can convince a Leo’s employee to give you some, a little bit of chopped up bacon. Remember, good things come to those that are nice to Leo’s employees — or at least those who pick up their omelets. Fold the tortilla over (make sure you haven’t over-filled your quesadilla or else everything will fall out before you get a chance to enjoy it), pop the quesadilla in the panini press and there you go! If you want, add in some guacamole, salsa and/or sour cream from the burrito bowl station.

4. Finally, we reach dessert. Leo’s has stepped up its game in this area, so once again the options are numerous. The choice for today’s meal includes a frozen yogurt creation. Fill up your bowl with your yogurt flavor of choice, and then go to the cereal station and add in some cereal for a little extra crunch. Also, if the fruit options are looking good, add some in as well. A great combination option is vanilla frozen yogurt with Cheerios, bananas and a little honey.

And there you have it! A somewhat more sophisticated Leo’s dining experience.

P.S. If you also want to add a new drink to your meal, try combining a bit of ginger ale, cranberry juice and orange juice together.

Bon appetit, Hoyas!

Gif: tumblr.com