That’s So Ramen

I don’t have any food in my dorm. As a result, I’m forced to go to Leo’s or the Leavey Center to get Grab N Go if I want something quick to eat. My schedule sometimes doesn’t give me enough time to make the trip there. Most people would consider my situation hopeless — but that’s because they don’t know that I have stacks on stacks of instant ramen. It’s terrible for your health and if it’s all you eat, you can get sick of it quickly. Besides that, I love ramen because of its versatility and convenience. Here are some ways to prepare it that you may not have known:

Pour the boiling water in the bag

This is probably the most low-rent (and convenient!) way to eat instant ramen. Open up the bag at the top, and pour all the soup base, vegetables, and whatever else you want into the bag. Then pour boiling water into the bag, holding the bag upright so no water spills out. Hold the bag by the top for a few minutes. Open up, and enjoy right out of the bag!

Raw Ramen

Just open up the bag, pour the soup base in the bag, throw out the vegetables, and crush the brick of noodles (all in the bag). After you break the noodles up into bite-sized pieces, shake up the bag to spread the soup base. Just eat right out of the bag!

Cheese on Ramen

This is a little ambitious for many people. I’m not a fan of it, but I know many that are. After you prepare the ramen the normal way, put one or two slices of any type of cheese on it and watch it melt. Sounds good in theory, but something about it just doesn’t work for me. Maybe it will for you!

Egg on Ramen

This is much more conventional. Just crack an egg into the pot or bowl right after you pour the boiling water and eat it when it solidifies.

Rice with Soup

After you finish eating the ramen, you can put the leftover soup to good use! Put rice into the leftover soup and enjoy!

Ramen on Ramen

Okay, now it’s getting a little contrived, but this is a real recipe! There are different brands of instant ramen and each has its own distinct taste. I personally like mixing the classic Shin Ramen and the thicker udon-type Neoguri ramen

Photo: https://leeschmidt.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/ramen/