2 GU Students Sworn Into Local Government Positions

Matias Burdman (COL ’21) and Anna Landre (SFS ’21) were sworn into positions on the Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E by Feb. 4 following a Nov. 6 election.

Burdman and Landre replaced Zachary Schroepfer (SFS ’19) and Mara Goldman (SFS ’19), who have filled the seats for the last two years. Burdman currently serves as treasurer of the committee, while Landre serves as secretary.

Eight people comprise the ANC 2E, which meets monthly to pass resolutions on issues affecting the areas of Georgetown University, Burleith, Hillandale and Georgetown. After discussing the resolutions, the ANC’s proposals are sent to the Washington, D.C. city government for consideration. Landre and Burdman, who both ran unopposed in the fall, filled seats for single-member districts 4 and 8.

AMBER GILLETTE/THE HOYA | Anne Landre (SFS ’21), center, was sworn into a two-year position on the Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E, which oversees Georgetown and surrounding areas, Feb. 4. Landre joins Matias Burdman (COL ’21) who was sworn in earlier this year.

Landre said in her role as commissioner, she plans to fight for accessibility for her constituents.

While on the ANC, I hope to make accessibility one of my main priorities,” Landre wrote in an email to The Hoya. “This means everything from repairing unsafe sidewalks to working with local businesses to encourage them to become more accessible to potential customers.”

Individuals with disabilities comprise a larger portion of the population than many believe, and their obstacles should be better addressed, according to Landre.

“Accessibility solutions serve many of these citizens, as well as elderly residents and families with young children,” Landre wrote. “We should promote common-sense infrastructure that works for all, rather than just some.”

Landre also hopes to continue Schroepfer and Goldman’s goal of providing students with affordable and accessible transportation to the greater D.C. area.

“I also want to ensure that students have access to affordable, convenient transportation from Georgetown to the greater DC area,” Landre wrote. “All too often, it’s easy to feel disconnected, and it’s not financially feasible for many students to rely on services like Uber.”

Burdman echoed Landre’s sentiments, focusing on improving transportation options for constituents in his role as commissioner.

“I would say that Georgetown is chronically under-connected and underserved when it comes to the whole Washington, D.C. transportation network,” Burdman said in October. “I think that is something that should be addressed and something we can definitely work on through the ANC.”

The main responsibility of commissioners is to bring attention to the issues affecting their constituents, according to Schroepfer.

“Much of the role of student ANC commissioners are to be responsive to specific pieces of advocacy that come as a result of events, crises, or new policies,” Schroepfer wrote in an email to The Hoya.

Landre looks forward to maintaining strong relationships with university officials to address the key concerns of constituents, namely problems with maintenance on Georgetown’s campus.

“On campus, infrastructure and deferred maintenance will be another one of my priorities,” Landre wrote. “I look forward to working with administration to create welcoming living and community spaces on campus now, and plan more for the future. I’m very excited to work with my fellow Commissioners to reach these goals!”

The process for students to be elected into the ANC is a not a simple one, according to Schroepfer.

Students who aspire to run for ANC with their name on the ballot are required to collect signatures from voters who both reside in their district and are registered to vote in D.C. The signature collection must occur during the summer break period, making it challenging for students.

The policies around signature collection are challenging and can act as a barrier for some students, according to Schroepfer.

“I was lucky enough to be able to come to Washington, D.C. to canvas for signatures, but the current policies that are in place are non-inclusive for students across the ANC,” Schroepfer wrote.

In the last two years, Schroepfer and Goldman helped the ANC pass several resolutions while serving on the commission. Initiatives passed by the ANC during their term include the institution of Georgetown University Transport Shuttle buses that run on Saturday and accessible pathways through construction areas on campus.

The pair also passed an ANC resolution responding to D.C.’s proposed “Access to Justice for Immigrants” legislation that strongly recommends the city include provisions for undocumented students residing in D.C. to receive financial assistance for legal representation.

The resolution was a collaborative effort between student leaders and university administration, according to Schroepfer.

“This resolution came from coordination with GUSA, the university administration, and neighborhood leaders who wanted to ensure students who were currently protected under the DACA program would continue to be protected by the Government that represents them,” Schroepfer wrote.