2013 McTighe Prize Winner Announced

The New Student Convocation Committee has selected Freeman Condon (NHS ’14) to deliver the annual welcome speech to the class of 2017 in August.

Condon, winner of the 2013 McTighe Prize, is a human science and international health double major, a member of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps and chapter president of Georgetown’s Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

The prize, given in memory of former philosophy professor Thomas P. McTighe, is given annually to a student who has engaged in outstanding scholarship and service during his or her time at Georgetown. Applicants for the award submit an essay detailing their dedication to the Jesuit and academic values that Georgetown espouses.

Condon, who learned about his award Tuesday, based his essay on the quote, “To whom much is given, much is asked.”

“I came at that from the perspective that everyone who graduates from Georgetown is given a lot in our education,” he said. “I talked about how everyone sort of owes something back, whether to the community or their family or to their nation.”

Condon’s application essay will form the basis of his speech at New Student Convocation in August.

“I’m excited because I’m being given a very wide audience in the freshmen and it’s really saying to me to have the potential to deliver one of the first things they hear at Georgetown,” Condon said. “One of the first things that they’re going to hear at Georgetown is my call to service. It’s exciting for me to be able to address them so young and hopefully have an impact.”