Alumni Descend on Sundance

Bradley Cooper isn’t the only Georgetown graduate to have graced the red carpet at the Sundance Film Festival. Of the 16 films chosen this year, three feature the acting or production of former Georgetown students.

“It’s a crazy little Georgetown festival we have going on here,” director Zal Batmanglij (COL ’02) said Wednesday to TBDArts, a Washington, D.C. news organization.

Included in the feature-length narrative category of the festival are “Sound of My Voice,” directed by Batmanglij and “Another Earth,” directed by Mike Cahill (COL ’01). Both films star Brit Marling (COL ’05), who also co-wrote the movies.

While predominantly science fiction, the plots of the movies also incorporate aspects of emotional human drama.

Both directors were able to enlist the help of successful actors in their works. Marling worked alongside Christopher Denham of “Charlie Wilson’s War,” as well as William Mapother from “Lost.”

Also featured at the festival is “Rebirth,” a documentary that chronicles the impact of the 9/11 attacks on the lives of survivors and is directed by Jim Whitaker (CAS ’90).

Batmanglij and Cahill began their respective careers in filmmaking while studying at Georgetown University. The pair met Marling after showing a joint endeavor in GUTV’s film festival.

Georgetown students’ continuing interest in film led to the creation of the film and media studies minor this fall. The recent success of Batmanglij, Cahill and Marling has been encouraging for students in the pilot class of the program.

“It opens more doors for us in this new film guinea pig program,” Josh Sizer (COL ’12), who is pursuing the minor, said. “For those of us who want to go into that industry, it’s awesome to hear about. It makes me feel like [a career in film] is more possible.”

Sizer feels that the achievement of future filmmaking projects by Georgetown students depends on their relationship with successful graduates.

“A lot of film schools are based on networking and keeping connections because the film industry is one of those industries where everyone knows everyone,” he said. “If Mike and Brit are willing to help students … that would be really great.”