Ambassador to Head New Institute

A high ranking State Department official will join the ranks of Georgetown administration next Monday.

Melanne Verveer (I ’66, G ’69), who was appointed by President Obama in 2009 to be the first ambassador-at-large for global women’s issues, will become the executive director for the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security.

In addition to her role as director, she will also be a senior advisor to President John DeGioia, according to a university press release.

“I am thrilled to be returning to my alma mater to lead this new, important enterprise to advance the role of women in peace and security,” Verveer said in the press release. “Georgetown is globally renowned for its work in international affairs as well as for training diplomats. I can’t think of a better platform than Georgetown to bring together scholarship, research, public diplomacy and international collaboration on this topic.”

Verveer has a long history in the federal government, serving as Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff and an assistant to the president during Bill Clinton’s (SFS ’68) administration. She is also currently director of the State Department’s office for Global Women’s Issues.

GIWPS, whose formation was announced by former Secretary of State Clinton on Dec. 2011, will officially launch Feb. 20.