Bowser Elected DC Mayor

D.C. Councilmember Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) won the Washington, D.C. mayoral election Tuesday, defeating opponents David Catania (SFS ’90, LAW ’94) and Carol Schwartz, both running as independents.

Bowser earned 53.96 percent of the vote, with 80,824 votes. Catania, a councilmember-at-large, came second, earning 35.31 percent of the vote and Schwartz earned 7.09 percent of the vote.

“A fifth generation Washingtonian, someone who grew up in North Michigan Park, I came home shortly after college. I dedicated my life to serving my neighbors in Riggs Park and Ward 4, in this city. I’m humbled and I’m grateful to stand here, the next mayor of my hometown,” Bowser said in her victory speech at The Howard Theatre on Tuesday night.

After beating incumbent Mayor Vincent Gray in the Democratic primary last April, Bowser has consistently held the lead in the polls throughout the campaign, holding a four-point lead over Catania in a poll conducted by D.C. pollster Ron Lester released Oct. 4.

Bowser also snagged endorsements from President Barack Obama as well as from The Washington Post.

During her campaign, Bowser has promised to produce more affordable housing, keep Chancellor of Education Kaya Henderson (SFS ’92, GRD ’07) in office and build more middle schools. Bowser reiterated these campaign goals in her victory speech.

“We believe in education reforms that guarantee every child a fair shot, that the middle class is an American right and that government has a role in getting us that. We believe in housing that is clean, safe and affordable and streets that are safe to walk at night. We believe in health care for all and marriage equality and a sustainable D.C. We believe in a level playing field for women, for African-Americans, for Latinos, and for D.C. residents of every background and belief,” Bowser said in her victory speech.

According to The Washington Post, Bowser won voters over in precincts with an income of under $100,000, and Catania won the vote in precincts with a typical income of more than $100,000. At the Georgetown Community Library precinct, the polling location for Georgetown University students, Catania won by 250 votes.

“I promise you, we’re coming to the end of the individual thank yous, because I could actually, as I look around the room, and you know who you are, how grateful I am to each of your for putting in this laboring oar in the water and trying to get us where we wanted to go,” Catania said in his concession speech Tuesday night.

Bowser will be sworn in as mayor in January 2015.