Burglaries Spike in First Month of 2012

DATA: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY; REMY SAMUELS/THE HOYA Crimes in January spiked 71 percent compared to the same month last year, with thefts and burglaries seeing the largest increases.
DATA: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY; REMY SAMUELS/THE HOYA
Crimes in January spiked 71 percent compared to the same month last year, with thefts and burglaries seeing the largest increases.

The Department of Public Safety reported 48 crimes this month, a 71 percent increase from the same period last year.

While January 2012 saw fewer crimes than October 2011 and November 2011, the month saw significant spikes in the number of burglaries, thefts, drug violations and overall crime compared to last January, when 28 incidents were reported.

But compared to previous months this school year, reported crimes declined. The total number of crimes dropped from 58 in November, representing a 21 percent decrease, part of which may be due to the fact that dorms were closed for the first 10 days of the month. Data from December is not comparable because campus was closed for the holidays.

Unlike most crimes, burglaries did not decline this month; there were nine burglaries reported in January, compared to three in November.

One of the nine burglaries involved the theft of 50 cartons of cigarettes from a Vital Vittles storeroom Jan. 23. This is the third burglary to take place at the convenience store since Dec. 1, and the case is one of seven incidents this month turned over to the Metropolitan Police Department for investigation.

One of the remaining cases, a Jan. 1 drug violation that did not involve Georgetown students, was closed with an arrest. An incident in which DPS discovered a substance containing methamphetamine in an LXR Hall dorm room Jan. 19 is still being investigated by MPD.

One case of disorderly conduct, in which students were accused of violating D.C.’s noise ordinance, resulted only in a warning to the subjects, while another case, in which students were found to be uncivil toward GERMS staff, was referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

The 23 remaining cases are still pending investigation.

Hoya Staff Writer Hiromi Oka contributed to this report.