Coury Advances to ‘Jeopardy’ Semifinals

After successfully asking, “Who is Prospero?” in Final Jeopardy, Jim Coury (SFS ’15) advanced to the college championship semifinals in an episode that was broadcast tonight.

Though it aired tonight as part of the two-week “Jeopardy” College Championship, the episode was filmed April 8 and 9 in Los Angeles. For the Final Jeopardy question, Coury successfully identified which character is said to represent William Shakespeare’s philosophy. He ended the night with $20,001, $1,000 more than the second-placed contender.

“I knew how it ends, but it was really nerve-wracking to watch, and I’m just really excited now to finally see it all together on TV,” Coury said. “It was really exciting. I watched with a bunch of my friends. I had a great time and it was really fun to be with them to watch it.”

Coury said his favorite questions came from a category called “George Town,” about people named George. He successfully identified George Washington and George Custer but fell short of correctly answering a question about George Lucas. Prior to the airing, Coury said that questions about pop culture were the most difficult for him.

The semifinals will air next week on May 15. Coury watched the quarterfinals episode with his friends at Georgetown. He will be back home in Ohio in time to watch the semifinal episode with his family.