DC Capital Bikeshare Unaffected by Takeover

MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA D.C.’s Capital Bikeshare program offers bicycle rentals in the District.
MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA
D.C.’s Capital Bikeshare program offers bicycle rentals in the District.

The operations of the Washington, D.C. Capital Bikeshare program will continue uninterrupted, after Alta Bicycle Share, its Portland, Ore.-based parent company, has officially been purchased by Bikeshare Holdings LLC.

Capital Bikeshare, owned by participating municipal jurisdictions and operated by Alta Bicycle Share, offers over 300 stations and 2,500 bikes for rental in the District.

“Because Alta Bicycle Share are contractors and they operate the Bikeshare Program on our behalf and on behalf of all the other municipalities that are part of Capital Bikeshare, the purchase of that company shouldn’t affect our operation in any way,” District Department of Transportation Bicycle Program Specialist Darren Buck said.

Following the purchase, Alta Bicycle Share announced a major expansion in the bike fleet for New York City’s Citi Bike program from 6,000 to 12,000 bicycles, but no expansion for Capital Bikeshare was mentioned.

“Unlike New York, with a system owned and operated by Bicycle Share, basically Alta Bicycle Share just operates the program according to the terms and conditions of the contract,” Buck said. “They still work under the same contract.”

In D.C., the DDOT retains control over pricing, locating and marketing as the owner of Capital Bikeshare, leaving only system maintenance and customer service to Alta Bicycle Share, minimizing the impact of the sale.

Buck noted that the larger corporate capacity created by the purchase has the potential to enhance services provided by Alta Bicycle Share.

“If anything, having new ownership is bringing a lot of good corporate capacity,” Buck said. “It has the potential to enhance the service.”

Alta Bicycle Share Director of Communications and External Affairs Dani Simons agreed, pointing to an expansion of financial and human resources for the company.

“We’re firmly committed to improving customer experience and technology across all of the systems we operate,” Simons wrote in an email to The Hoya. “We are also committed to investing in both financial and human resources at the corporate level to be able to provide better services to all of our field operations.”

Jacob Sorrells (SFS ’16), who used to ride his bike to work his sophomore year, pointed to problems in basic infrastructure for bicycles in the District.

“The city could definitely add more biker-only lanes,” Sorrells wrote in an email. “The roads can be quite hectic at times. A sturdy helmet and a keen pair of eyes are certainly musts.”

Buck said that he welcomed suggestions on future improvements Capital Bikeshare could make to meet the need of the university student population.

“We do try locate the stations that are convenient to university students and at $75 a year, it’s a great value alternative to storing a bike in a small dorm room for sure,” Buck said. “We are eager to hear certainly how we can make the program more useful for members. So the Georgetown University population are welcome to join Capital Bikeshare. If there is any enhancement that we can give, we are always happy to hear them.”