DPS and MPD Differ on Break-Ins

LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA In their reports on Friday night’s break-in at a student residence at 1418 36th St., DPS and MPD differed on several key details.
LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA
In their reports on Friday night’s break-in at a student residence at 1418 36th St., DPS and MPD differed on several key details.

The Department of Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department reported differing information on a break-in at a student residence at 1418 36th St. Friday night.

According to the description of the incident the victim gave to MPD, an unknown male entered the residence through a back door. When asked what he was doing there, the suspect claimed to be looking for a party and fled through the back door.

The incident was the first of two break-ins to occur that night. Less than an hour later, at 10:30 p.m., a student living at 3609 O St. reported that she went into a bedroom to investigate a noise and saw an unknown person. The student screamed and the intruder fled down the stairs and out the back door.

Though the DPS and MPD reports agreed on the basics of the first break-in, they contained several differences regarding the time and description of the incident.

While DPS reported that the suspect emerged from a closet while the student was sitting in her living room, the MPDreport said that he entered the residence through an unlocked back door. DPS described the incident as a burglary, while MPD classified it as an unlawful entry.

The time of the incident reported by DPS also differed from the time reported by MPD by 11 minutes. According to DPS, the break-in occurred at 9:56 p.m., while MPD reported that it happened at 9:45 p.m.

This is the second time in the past week that DPS reports have differed from other descriptions of a crime.

In a public safety alert regarding a theft at Vital Vittles Thursday, DPS reported that $600 in cash was stolen from the store’s back office. However, the actual amount stolen was closer to $300, according to The Corp’s Chief Operating Officer Brooke Heinichen (SFS ’12).

“We very specifically gave them the number that was the exact amount that was taken, but $600 was the number they reported and I’m not quite sure why,” Heinichen said.

According to Georgetown’s Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh, the $600 figure was a preliminary estimate.

“Initial estimates of the amount of cash stolen from Vital Vittles were broad,” she wrote in an email.

Pugh did not respond to questions about the source of the discrepancies between the DPS and MPD reports.