House Resolution Endangers Federal Financial Aid

The House of Representatives passed on a continuing resolution early Saturday morning that proposes drastic funding cuts to federal financial aid.

The continuing resolution, which now faces a Senate vote,  would fund the federal government through September and make cuts of more than $60 billion from the 2010 budget.

The federal Pell Grant program would be cut by $845 per student, down to $4,705 from $5,550, according to Associate Vice President for Federal Relations Scott Fleming.

During the last academic year, 830 Georgetown University students received a Pell Grant as part of their financial aid package, according to a Jan. 13 letter from University President John J. DeGioia.

Along with cuts to Pell Grants, the continuing resolution eliminates funding for the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant program, an additional form of need-based federal aid. This would reduce the program’s grants to Georgetown by over $1.8 million, according to Fleming.

The resolution also makes minor cuts to other aid programs, but those will have only a minimal impact on Georgetown students, Fleming said.

The Office of Federal Relations and the Office of Financial Aid are actively working to prevent major cuts from being implemented and are keeping students on federal aid informed as the process goes into the next round. Fleming said he had already created the Federal Student Financial Aid Network, which informs students on aid of upcoming votes and potential cuts. He is also encouraging students to call their representatives in the House.

—Hoya Staff Writers Caitlin Mac Neal and Mariah Byrne contributed to this report.