Hunter Biden Discharged From Navy for Drug Use

Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter Biden (COL ’92) was discharged from the U.S. Navy Reserve after testing positive for cocaine in a random drug test conducted last summer.

Biden co-taught a 500-level course in Georgetown’s Master of Science in Foreign Service program called “The Art of Advocacy: Inside and Outside of Government” as an adjunct professor alongside Robert Norton in the spring semesters of 2012 and 2013. The course is still listed on the Georgetown University website’s course offerings list for spring 2014-2015, but according to Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh, Biden and Norton told the university several weeks ago that they did not have enough time in their schedules to teach this school year.

Georgetown University’s Drug-Free Workplace policy states that all Georgetown employees must be drug-free at the workplace.

“The University will discipline individuals convicted of possession with intent to use an illegal and/or controlled drug in the workplace within 30 days of receiving notice of the employee’s conviction. Disciplinary actions may include the termination of employment — lesser sanctions may require the employee to satisfactorily participate in an approved druge [sic] abuse assistance or rehabilitation program,” the policy states.

Biden, 44, earned his B.A. from Georgetown University and his J.D. from Yale University. He practices as a lawyer at a New York-based law firm and is currently a managing partner at the investment firm Rosement Seneca Partners. According to Navy spokesperson Cmdr. Ryan Perry, who spoke to NPR, Biden joined the U.S. Navy Reserve as a public affairs officer in 2012. Biden joined the Navy Public Supports Element East in Norfolk, Va., in May 2013, and he was discharged in February 2014.

“It was the honor of my life to serve in the U.S. Navy, and I deeply regret and am embarrassed that my actions led to my administrative discharge. I respect the Navy’s decision. With the love and support of my family, I’m moving forward,” Biden said in a statement released by his attorney following his dismissal.

The Vice President’s office did not comment on the incident.