Lew Wins Confirmation for Treasury Secretary

Former White House chief of staff Jack Lew (L ’83) was confirmed by the Senate to become the country’s next treasury secretary Wednesday.

Lew’s confirmation, which passed the Senate with a 71-26 vote, comes on the heels of former Sen. Chuck Hagel’s (R-Neb.) narrow confirmation for secretary of defense Tuesday.

Hagel, who was present at the Senate debates for Lew’s nomination, received four Republican votes while Lew had 20 Republicans joining the Democratic majority to support his bid for treasury secretary.

The hearing process for President Barack Obama’s former chief of staff began Feb. 13 and encountered objections from some Republicans, who questioned Lew’s stint at financial institution Citigroup.

Another primary voice of opposition came from Bernie Sanders (I-Ver.), who questioned the candidate’s capabilities.

“We need a secretary of the treasury who does not come from Wall Street but is prepared to stand up to the enormous power of Wall Street,” Sanders said. “Do I believe that Jack Lew is that person? No, I do not.”

Lew, the nation’s 76th treasury secretary, replaces Timothy Geithner in the Cabinet position.