Newly-Introduced, Diverse Species Stun at Smithsonian’s National Zoo

The famed Komodo dragon, the Amur tiger and the European glass lizard are just a few of the 19 new animals at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo.

These species were gradually introduced to Washington, D.C.’s largest zoo over the past two and a half years, adding to the zoo’s already large and diverse collection of more than 360 species. The new animals will provide an exciting new experience for visitors returning to the zoo after pandemic-related closures and restrictions, but will also enrich the research on animal behavior and conservation that the Smithsonian is doing. 

Alexandra DeCandia, a Georgetown University biology professor and research fellow at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute, said the increased exhibition size offers something for everyone.

“For reptile enthusiasts, the European glass lizard presents something truly unique: it looks like a snake, but it’s actually a legless lizard,” DeCandia wrote to The Hoya.“For people interested in fuzzier creatures, the lineup of new carnivores offers exciting opportunities to see the famously-expressive facial expressions of Pallas’ cats and smell the decidedly-popcorn-esque aroma of binturongs.”

Other new species at the zoo include the rock hyrax, black tree monitor, prehensile-tailed porcupine, siamang, lemur leaf frog, binturong, cave salamander, collared brown lemur, Vietnamese mossy frog, Australian snake-necked turtle, golden-headed lion tamarin, Panamanian golden frog, sand cat, Henkel’s leaf-tailed gecko and Pallas’ cat.

DeCandia said the more obscure animals will expose visitors to animals they may not have previously heard of.

“Higher-profile species like the Amur tiger or Komodo dragon often attract visitors to the zoo, but the lesser known species like the Vietnamese mossy frog, prehensile-tailed porcupine, Australian snake-necked turtle, and southern tamandua introduce visitors to something new,” DeCandia wrote. “They can pique interest in the stories behind these species and the habitats they come from.”

The vast majority of new animals can be found at the zoo can be found at the Small Mammal House and the Reptile Discovery Center. 

While the new species provide a source of entertainment for tourists and D.C. residents, they also present an opportunity for researchers at the zoo to engage with species they have never worked with first-hand and learn more. 

A Komodo dragon named Onyx was introduced to the zoo in December 2020 and joins Murphy, another Komodo dragon that has been at the zoo for two decades. 

Sarah Lin/The Hoya | Smithsonian’s National Zoological Park added 19 new species to its exhibitions after the start of the pandemic. The new species will provide something exciting for visitors who are returning to the zoo after two and a half years of closures and restrictions.

Studying Onyx will enrich the zoo’s researchers’ understanding of his species, according to a press release about Onyx’s introduction.

“Caring for Murphy has contributed to Reptile Discovery Center’s wealth of knowledge about these lizards. Keepers have not had a young dragon in their care for nearly two decades, so they look forward to getting to know Onyx and continuing to learn about these incredible reptiles,” the press release reads.

Edward Barrows, Georgetown biology professor and director of the Georgetown Center for the Environment, a forum for the discussion, dissemination and awareness of environmental issues, said the new species also provide valuable educational opportunities.

“The Smithsonian National Zoological Park is a fine place for all to enhance their life-time learning,” Barrows wrote to The Hoya. “There is so much to know about each native and exotic species there, even many plants which have entered the Zoo on their own. The new species are wonderful and add to our education.” 

Aside from its educational benefits, as a conservation zoo, the National Zoo plays an important role protecting species. 

“Human actions have pushed innumerable species into threatened or endangered statuses in the wild,” DeCandia wrote. “Organizations like the National Zoo actively pursue wildlife conservation and education to inspire people to join the fight.”

The wide breadth of exhibitions at the National Zoo provides a unique avenue for people to interact with other species. 

“The National Zoo is one of my favorite places in D.C.,” DeCandia wrote. “It offers everyone – from school children to educators to policy makers to senior citizens – the opportunity to stand face-to-face with the other inhabitants of our planet and learn about their stories.”