Phase 1 Done for Metro’s Silver Line

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA The New Silver Line will include stops at five new stations:  Tyson’s Corner, McLean, Greensboro, Spring Hill and Wiehle-Reston East.
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
The New Silver Line will include stops at five new stations: Tyson’s Corner, McLean, Greensboro, Spring Hill and Wiehle-Reston East.

Work on the first phase of the Silver Line is complete, according to paperwork filed Wednesday by Dulles Transit Partners, the contractor hired to build the first addition to the Washington, D.C. metro system in over two decades.

The work must now be reviewed by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to receive approval for passenger use.

MWAA Communications Manager Marcia McAllister said that this is the second time DTP has filed paperwork claiming that the construction of the line was complete. The first submission by DTP was rejected after numerous operational problems were found upon inspection of the line.

“We rejected the declaration of completion the first time around and told them they had a long list of things that needed to be accomplished before we could accept it,” McAllister said.

Project officials had hoped to open the Silver Line in December 2013, but the project was stalled by numerous delays in the process, including the replacement of all the speaker systems in every station on the line.

“The problems included a variety of electrical and systems situations,” McAllister said. “There were problems with the overhead speakers in all the stations; those had to be replaced. We’re looking forward to seeing how DTP has worked toward fixing that issue and others with the system.”

The MWAA has until the middle of next week to either accept or reject the corrections DTP has made over the last few months. If those corrections are accepted, the oversight role will then be given to WMATA, who will continue testing on the line.

“Once that hand off is made to WMATA, they can continue testing for as many as 90 days to test it and decide when it enters into service,” McAllister said.

The WMATA declined to comment on the inspection of the line until MWAA made a decision about its readiness.

In all, the line will add five new stops and 11.4 miles of track to the Metro system. Estimates have put the price tag of the line at around $5.6 billion.

Among the stops on the first phase of the line will be the town of McLean, Va., a hub for companies like Mars, Geebo and ServInt, the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency and the home of Tysons Corner, a popular shopping mall.

The second phase of construction will include an extension of the line to Dulles International Airport, an often difficult place to reach for many D.C. residents and Georgetown students. Construction for this phase is expected to begin sometime this spring, presumably following the green light on the first phase.

While the addition of the Dulles stop is highly anticipated by D.C. residents, WMATA has stressed that it may not completely solve the traffic issues of commuters trying to get out to the airport.

“There is no single solution to the area’s traffic problems. But Dulles Metrorail is a central part of an integrated solution that maximizes our investments in Metro, buses, carpools, [High Occupancy/Toll] lanes, road improvements and teleworking,” the WMATA website for the Silver Line says.

However, Georgetown students like Jacob Jensen (MSB ’16) have expressed excitement about how the new line will help Georgetown students with the headache of having to get to Dulles from campus.

“It’s usually a $60 cab ride to Dulles, which is money that not a lot of students have to spend on a ride to the airport,” Jensen said. “Hopefully this new line will get up and running soon. I’m not sure how many more $60 cab rides I can afford.”