School of Continuing Studies Adds Full-Time Veterans’ Post

The School of Continuing Studies has instituted a new senior level position to coordinate veterans’ affairs and recruitment efforts.

The step follows a decision last month to fund a part-time position to work with student veterans on the main campus, after a year-long push by students and community members.

“SCS is exploring a range of options, including establishing a new position, to meet the needs of student veterans, many of whom take advantage of Yellow Ribbon benefits in SCS programs,” said Margaret Moore, a spokeswoman for the university.

The position has already been posted online and a search committee has begun meeting to review applications.

The committee — which consists of School of Continuing Studies Dean Robert Manuel, other administrators from both SCS and the main campus along with Georgetown University Student Veterans of America Vice President Colby Howard (SFS ’12) — will recommend the most qualified applications to the university. They hope to have the position filled by the beginning of the fall semester.

Howard said the group has already received several applications. However, the position remains open and they are still looking to receive more applications.

The new post will focus on the SCS, which has a large student-veteran enrollment. Barbara Mujica, a professor of Spanish and the faculty adviser for GUSVA, said that it is important to continue the push to ensure that the current main campus position — which is part-time — becomes a full-time post.

“I see this as a positive thing because anything for veterans is a positive thing,” Mujica said of the SCS decision. “But we can’t just rest now and think that’s done, because we still need a full-time position.”

David Shearman (SFS ’11) has had his hands full since he was hired as the first part-time veterans’ affairs coordinator last month. Howard said that the office has already helped more than 30 incoming veterans.

“The phone is ringing off the hook,” he said.

Howard said the amount that Shearman has been asked to handle is a testament not only to strides made for student veterans but also the previous neglect of these needs.

“Our number one priority is still to create a full-time position here on the main campus,” he said.