Two Bikeshare Stations Coming to Georgetown

Members of Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E officially voiced their support for the addition of two new Capital Bikeshare stations in Georgetown at their monthly meeting last Monday.

One of the stations will be installed outside CVS Pharmacy at 1403 Wisconsin Ave., and the second will be situated by the waterfront at the intersection of 34th and Water Streets.

ANC 2E Chairman Ron Lewis also inquired about adding a station within the gates of the university.

According to Chris Holben, the District of Columbia Department of Transportation project manager for Capital Bikeshare, placing a station on campus would be complicated because the university is private property and would require liability waivers, among other measures. A Capital Bikeshare station currently stands outside the front gates.

Despite potential difficulties, Lewis asked Holben to begin discussion with the university and said that the ANC would help facilitate the process.

ANC 2E Commissioner Jeff Jones also asked Holben about installing a bike rack outside the Walsh Building, noting that students must tie their bikes to young trees along the sidewalk.

Holben said that the university would have to supply such a rack.

Cyclists in the District could also benefit from a bill proposed on Feb. 19 by D.C. Councilmembers MaryCheh (D-Ward 3) and Tommy Wells (D-Ward 6) that would provide new protection for bikers.

The bill, drafted by Cheh with the help of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, would penalize drivers for failing to yield to or colliding with bikers with points on their driving records and a fine.

The legislation offers additional provisions to reduce biking injuries: New drivers would be required to answer questions about biker safety on the driver’s license exam and construction companies whose work blocks bike lanes would be mandated to provide safe detours.

“Getting bicyclists and drivers to respect each other is never easy, and I’m glad D.C. is working

on it,” Lewis said.

Jake Sorrells (COL ’16), who bikes three to four times a week to get to his internship, stressed the need for improvement to the District’s biking infrastructure.

“I think this is one of the most dangerous cities to be riding in, maybe save NY,” Sorrells said.

“It’s just a really hostile road environment. It’s tense. People are uptight, and they want to get

where they want to go.”