WOMEN’S TENNIS | DePaul Edges Out Georgetown, 4-3

Georgetown University women’s tennis hosted the DePaul University Blue Demons at Yates Field House on March 18, falling 4-3 to the Big East powerhouse in a tight affair.

The DePaul Blue Demons (9-5, 4-0 Big East) came into the matchup riding a seven-match winning streak, placing them at the top of the conference. On the other hand, Georgetown’s loss to DePaul thwarted a three-match winning streak of its own (8-5, 1-2 Big East).

Despite the loss, Head Coach Freddy Mesmer said he is happy with the immense improvement he has seen from the team. 

“Last year, we went to Chicago and got thumped,” Mesmer said. “This year, our team competed until the very last point. Losing 4-3 this year is a testament of the work this group has put in and what is to come for the rest of this season and the years to come.” 

Georgetown started the match 1 point behind after falling in two of the doubles matches. In singles play, the Hoyas came up short in the first three positions. At first singles, junior Avantika Willy lost a competitive 6-4, 7-5 match, and at third singles, senior Agata Mikos fell in a tight three-set clash 6-4, 1-6, 6-2. 

The first-years performed well for Georgetown, with first-years Ashley Kennedy and Paige Gilbert both capturing straight-set victories at the fourth and fifth singles positions, respectively. Kennedy came out on top in a decisive 6-4, 6-3 win, while Gilbert also dropped seven games in a 6-2, 7-5 win. 

“I played a tough opponent but was able to fight my way through the match,” Kennedy said. “I was up in the first set, and she was able to make a comeback. But with some good coaching from Diana, I pulled out the first set and match.” 

GUHoyas | The Georgetown women’s tennis (8-5, 1-2 Big East) team narrowly fell 3-4 to the Depaul Blue Demons (9-5, 4-0 Big East), the current leaders in the Big East.

At sixth singles, junior Morgan Coburn was even with her opponent 7-5, 1-6 when DePaul clinched the team win, and Coburn’s match was called for Georgetown after the DePaul player subsequently forfeited.

With three conference matches left on the schedule that will help determine seeding for the Big East tournament, Georgetown is in a strong position compared to previous years. 

“At this point last season, our team was 3-9, and now our team is 8-5,” Mesmer said. “This is a huge improvement and shows the progress this group is making, against arguably tougher competition than last year.”

During practices, the team has been trying to improve every day. Every week, all players send in three things that they want to work in addition to what the coaches have prepared. Mainly, the team has been practicing different doubles formations, varying shot selection in singles play, serves and returns. 

The team also said they appreciate the chance to play in front of a home crowd, and the energy at home matches has made collegiate tennis especially enjoyable for Kennedy.

“I love playing in Yates,” Kennedy said. “The crowd is so fun, and it’s so nice to get supporters coming in from the gym. A ton of our friends showed up and cheered super loud from the sidelines. There were a lot of parents there that also made it fun. Overall, it was just a great atmosphere, and it’s nice to know the court better because we practice there every day.” 

Up next, Georgetown will stay in the District for two Big East matchups next weekend. The Hoyas will face Seton Hall University (5-9, 0-2 Big East) on March 25 at 11 a.m., followed by a showdown with St. John’s University (8-6, 2-0 Big East) on March 26 at 11 a.m.