TEDx Conference Coming to Campus

This spring some Georgetown students might reach Internet fame and explore the full scope of the Web’s capabilities before they even graduate.

The Georgetown University Lecture Fund will be hosting a TEDx conference on campus on March 23. “Netcetera, Internet and Everything Else” will focus on the relationship between the Internet and some unexplored aspects of its impact on society.

TED — a nonprofit organization that holds annual conferences at which innovators give brief talks about their ideas — inspired the TEDx branch, which attempts to recreate that creative, technologically-minded environment around the world.

Several Georgetown professors have already agreed to speak at the event, including Mike Nelson, a visiting professor of communication, culture and technology; Paula Newberg, the director of Georgetown’s institute for the study of diplomacy; and Pablo Molina, the chief information officer for Georgetown’s Law Center.

Molina, an associate vice president of Georgetown and a graduate professor in the technology management program, got involved with the conference at the suggestion of Nelson, who is the designated ‘TEDxpert’ and faculty adviser.

“When Michael Nelson calls or emails, you know that something interesting is about to happen,” he said in an email. “In this case, it is TEDx Georgetown.”

Molina will be giving a talk entitled “The Internet and Virtual Aliens” about the relationship between the Internet and immigration.

“[Nelson] challenged me to come up with something creative, something that I liked to do with the Internet,” he said. “My talk, on the Internet and virtual aliens, will combine two of my favorite pastimes: using Internet technology and being an immigrant.”

Professors and students said that they are very excited about the conference. Frank Miller (COL ’14) first learned of TED events when researching for a high school history class. As a linguistics major, he is hoping to hear talks about the symbiotic effects between the Internet and modern language.

“I just can’t wait for them to come here,” he said. “I have wanted to go to a TED event ever since I heard about it in 2008.”

The Lecture Fund is also holding a student speaker contest to determine which Georgetown students will have the opportunity to address the attendees and then have their talks published on the greater TED website, where they will virtually reside alongside talks by Bill Clinton (SFS ’68) and Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin. The resulting videos could receive over a million views, according to Ceyda Erten (SFS ’13), the conference’s committee chair.

“We are looking for vibrant students whose lecture offers a new, fun, weird, exciting or innovative perspective to the subject matter,” Erten said.

The application closes Feb. 16