Corp Sees Uptick in Reusable Mugs With ‘Kill the Cup’

In the two weeks since The Corp launched its “Kill the Cup” campaign, the number of students bringing reusable mugs to Corp storefronts has increased by 61 percent.

The campaign, launched Oct. 15, uses a social media campaign and in-store promotions to incentivize the usage of reusable tumblers, including a limited edition Kill the Cup tumbler sold by Students of Georgetown Inc.

If a customer uses a special Kill the Cup tumbler, there is a 30-cent discount, a five-cent increase in the discount currently given to customers who bring in a reusable tumbler.

Although the sale of the Kill the Cup tumblers will end Nov. 11, the price discounts will remain in effect indefinitely.

“It’s a campaign trying to build long-term habits for people and we’re still going to have certain incentives in place,” Business Development Chair Caroline Williams (MSB ’15) said.

The Corp’s social media campaign encourages students to photograph themselves using reusable mugs at Corp locations. Customers who post photos to The Corp’s website or on Instagram are entered into raffles for a variety of prizes.

While it is common for coffee shops to offer discounts for bringing in a reusable tumbler, Vice Chair of The Corp Green Team Whitney Pratt (COL ’14) said that The Corp’s discount is unusual for coffee shops.

“It’s a norm among coffee shops to give some sort of discount for bringing your own mug but our discount is significantly higher; 25 cents is a lot higher than almost all other discounts,” Pratt said.

For many students, the campaign has been effective.

“I’m definitely planning to make the switch as soon as possible. I just need to take the time and initiative to buy the tumbler,” Eunyoung Kim (COL ’17) said.

The Corp has offered discounts for reusing paper cups for several years but Kill the Cup has been designed to move away from paper cup usage.

“We changed that because first of all, that’s not very sustainable,” Pratt said. “It was a decision to do a Corp-wide change because it is more sustainable to have people bring reusable mugs than to be using a cup in the first place.”

Although many students have noticed the campaign, others were unsure that it would change their coffee-consuming habits.

“I think that most people who already have [tumblers] would use them regardless and people who don’t use them wouldn’t necessarily stop and buy one and then become in the habit of using it,” Nicole Yeo (SFS ’14) said.