Bike Thefts Rise This Month

Bikes have been the latest targets for theft on campus, with six bicycles stolen in the first two weeks of October. A total of nine bikes have been stolen since the beginning of the semester, revealing a climb from last year’s numbers.

With a Department of Public Safety investigation underway, DPS Associate Director Joseph Smith said the incidents have been campus-wide and that no suspects or witnesses have been identified.

According to Smith, the investigation has concluded that blame for the thefts does not lie with the owners. Each of the missing bikes had been secured by their owners and the thief cut the lock, Smith said.

The thefts were met with surprise by bicycle-owner Marybeth Arcodia (COL’14), who locks up her bike regularly near the Intercultural Center.

“I am not concerned that someone would break the lock [and try to steal my bike],” Acordia said.

Other students, such as Vedrana Durakovic (GRD ’11), said that while they were aware of the ongoing thefts, they were not concerned because they locked their bikes on a regular basis.

Bike thefts have been common on campus in the past, but the current frequency is unusual. In both September 2009 and September 2010, three bikes were reported missing. During the entire month of October 2009, however, only three bike thefts were reported – significantly fewer than the six that have already occurred this October.

Despite the recent incidents, the issue of bike theft on campus has declined to a fraction of what it was just three years ago, thanks to security measures implemented by DPS, Smith said.

“We implemented a bike registration and lock sales a couple of years ago as a response to bike thefts on campus,” Smith said in an email. “We also have our patrol officers direct their attention to problem areas, according to our crime analysis of the incidents.”

Other measures include the Bark-Up campaign, which aims to encourage students to report criminal activity and the ongoing improvements to the surveillance camera system.

Smith said students can also help prevent crime, and emphasized that all bike owners on campus should buy high-quality locks and learn to utilize them properly. He also advised students to check on their bikes frequently.

“In general we can all help out by being vigilant, and students can help out by noting any suspicious behavior and calling DPS,” Smith said.

Smith stressed that while DPS has been handling the issue, suspicious behavior should be reported immediately.