Greco: A Fresh Greek Twist On The Standard Lunch Bowl

Georgetown+DC
Georgetown DC

There’s a new addition to the bowl scene in Georgetown.

Greco, a fast-casual Greek restaurant based in Boston, opened  Jan. 15 at the corner of Dumbarton Street and Wisconsin Avenue. They serve up plates, salads, kebabs, gyros and doughnuts for those on the go in Georgetown who crave a little variety from their standard Sweetgreen or Chipotle.

In the space that formerly housed &pizza, this new Greek spot offers a diverse array of options to make your own customized meal, including chicken, lamb or loukaniko, as well as vegetarian options like grilled halloumi and vegan meatballs.

The restaurant space has a few small tables for eating in, but it mainly seems catered to takeout. The space keeps to a clean, white, Mediterranean aesthetic reminiscent of the Greek Isles, with large skewers of sizzling meat. 

Staff members were helpful and friendly, explaining all the available options and assisting new customers with figuring out the right place to pick up and dispose of utensils and such. While some might see this kind of service as expected of any service establishment, it is still noteworthy nowadays when a fast-casual restaurant focuses so much on making its customers feel welcome rather than just getting them in and out as quickly as possible.

The service was not the only aspect that helped Greco stand apart from its more established competitors. The food itself was fresh, well-seasoned and filling — providing a variety of flavors all in one meal. The stand out was their Greco fries, which were fluffy and flavorful while still having a good crunch, serving as the perfect vehicle for the vibrant sauces provided with the meal.

Meals themselves are also stuffed to the brim and incredibly filling, making them a great option to use as leftovers for another meal later on. Price-wise, the meals are comparable to a Sweetgreen bowl, with pita wraps for $12.50 and plates for $15.50.

Nevertheless, there still are a few kinks being worked out. Some items, such as the tzatziki, were a bit too seasoned, leaving a salty aftertaste that marred an otherwise delicious meal. Additionally, newcomers might not yet know how many ingredients they can select from each subcategory since it is not very well clarified on the menu, which could leave some customers with a less-than-ideal meal by the time they reach the end of the serving countertop. This issue certainly persists across many fast-casual style “bowl” places, but it is still essential to note here that there are certain restrictions on how much you can add to a specific meal. 

Overall, Greco is certainly a top-notch option when it comes to fast-casual dining in Georgetown. While Greek food might not be everyone’s go-to, the sheer variety of options available at Greco means that even people who are not accustomed to Greek cuisine can still find something they would enjoy. 

The next time you crave a filling and flavorful quick bite in Georgetown, be sure to stop by Greco for a bit of Mediterranean spice in your life.