Campus Community Mourns Death of Jesuit

Ye Domesday Book 1976 Fr. John Martin, S.J., is pictured here in his 1976 yearbook faculty photo.
Ye Domesday Book 1976
Fr. John Martin, S.J., is pictured here in his 1976 yearbook faculty photo.

Fr. John F. Martin, S.J., a beloved member of the Georgetown Jesuit community, died Sunday at a hospice care center at the age of 68.

A Jesuit for the last 50 years, Martin originally taught theology at Georgetown from 1974 to 1976. After serving on the Archdiocesan Tribune in Washington, D.C. and then as a canon law professor at Regis College in Toronto, Canada, he returned to Georgetown in 1997. He then became an integral member of the campus community as a canon law consultant, campus minister and ardent fan and chaplain for the women’s basketball team and the men’s football team.

“Fr. Martin was a huge supporter of the team as well as many teams here on campus,” women’s basketball Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. “He was a fan that stood by us through the tough times and the good ones. We will remember him for always believing in what we are trying to do here at Georgetown, both in the classroom and on the court.”

Martin was going to be named the women’s basketball team’s honorary coach for the University of Connecticut game, a crucial matchup for Georgetown against one of the best teams in the country.

“We appreciated Fr. Martin’s constant support,” senior guard Monica McNutt said. “He was supportive when things were not so good and was one of our biggest fans before we began to get national recognition. Our prayers are with his family, those close to him and the Georgetown community.”

She added that his presence would be missed by more than just the players.

“The coaches, players and staff will miss having him at the end of our bench,” she said.

Fr. Thomas Buckley, S.J., a Jesuit classmate and close friend of Martin’s, noted Martin’s ever-present spirit.

“Fr. Martin, along with being an enormously bright person, was very patient. He had suffered a lot through his life, but he always presented an interested face to people,” Buckley said. “Georgetown really lit the fire in John.”

Buckley also mentioned his frequent strolls around campus with Martin, who had been wheelchair-bound for the past five years but still enjoyed observing on-campus happenings.

“He loved life and he was a true believer. He was a faithful son of Ignatius,” Buckley said.

Martin’s wake will be held in Wolfington Hall, the Jesuit Residence, on Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. His funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday in Dahlgren Chapel.