Georgetown Senior Class Committee Steps Up Their Game

The Senior Class Committee remembers every mistake it has made this year.

That’s because this year’s group, which organizes events like Senior Ball, Senior Disorientation and Senior Auction, keeps a precise log of its activity, missteps and all.

The goal, according to board member Ana-Alicia Siqueiros (COL ’11), is to leave future committees with a journal of triumphs and failures that will hopefully make planning more efficient in the future.

“The biggest thing that we want to take on is to be a little more organized in how we transition and in how we keep notes on what has gone wrong and what has gone right,” Siqueiros said.

This year’s committee, however, has not seen much defeat. Though the group admits that it could do better in some areas, Andrew Malzberg’s (COL ’11) leadership as chairman of the board of SCC has helped to make the committee one of the most successful in recent years. The board was able to bring Lupe Fiasco to campus for a Halloween weekend concert, the first fall concert since 2007.

Non traditional events like the Fiasco show are the hardest to coordinate, but Malzberg believes that Georgetown’s annual spring concert was not enough. As a transfer, he saw the two-concert structure that Emory University enjoys and hoped to bring the same framework to the Hilltop. The board members all agreed.

This week, the SCC has tackled another one of its greatest challenges — Dis-Orientation 2.0. The weeklong event, which will end Friday night with a bar crawl in Dupont Circle, was less than popular last year, as the previous organizational committee was unable to raise enough support to make a profit. After reforming the structure, however, the SCC was able to entice 600 registrants and Dis-O 2, as board members call it, has been a fundraising winner.

“We are halfway through, and we’ve already made a profit,” Senior Auction Chair Liz Kneuer (COL ’11) said on Tuesday. The funds will be put toward Senior Week, the pre-graduation festival that culminates in Senior Ball.

The key to this year’s success has been organization, which the group sought to foster before its event planning even began. Committee members took a day off together to traverse a ropes course, a quick vacation that Malzberg hoped would forge friendships and unity within the group. Board members also took a similar retreat that taught them how to best get along before actually setting the agenda.

“We did a lot of personality tests, which helped us learn how to communicate with one another,” Kneuer said.

Despite the positive attitude from Malzberg, Kneuer and other organizers, some seniors have expressed discontent with the events so far. They said the events have been organized well, but have not been especially exciting.

“They’re not very appealing,” Max Stoiber (SFS ’11) said. “It’s hard to find an event where I’m really thinking ‘I’d like to go to that one.'”

Though she has been a regular attendee, Kathleen Mulvaney (COL ’11) explained that she was unimpressed by the SCC’s events as well. Last autumn’s Dis-Orientation was plagued by bus transportation troubles, she said, which prevented some people from making the bar crawl. According to Mulvaney, this week’s Dis-O 2.0 has been underwhelming, too.

“Me and my friends are kind of disappointed,” she said. “It feels like we paid money, but didn’t get much value. We didn’t have to pay a cover at McFadden’s, but we checked and found out that the ice skating cost the same whether or not we signed up [for Dis-O 2.0].”

In the future, students explained that they hope that the events will be a tad more enticing.

“The quality of events is just not ideal,” Stoiber said.

That’s not to say that everyone is dissatisfied. Some seniors enjoyed the increase in the number of events and opportunities to celebrate senior year with their classmates.

“They’ve done more than I thought they would and more than I heard has been done in other years,” said Tessa Mooney (COL ’11).

“They’ve definitely gone above and beyond my expectations,” Maura Duffy (COL ’11) added.