GU Returning to Normalcy in Wake of Hurricane

Having escaped the brunt of Hurricane Sandy, the university and the District began to evaluate damage and resume regular operations Tuesday morning.

The Category 1 storm hit the D.C. area in full force Monday afternoon, bringing . Further north, the storm caused fires, heavy flooding and at least 16 deaths, according to The Washington Post. New York and New Jersey were hit particularly hard.

But the heaviest rain and wind had left the D.C. region by Tuesday morning, and the university lifted its shelter in place advisory around 8 a.m. The broadcast email announcing the official “all clear” warned students to be aware of debris and standing water on campus and urged them to only go outside if necessary. Georgetown will resume regular operating status Wednesday, Oct. 31.

In the meantime, university buildings including O’Donovan Dining Hall, Lauinger Library, Intercultural Center, the Leavey Center, Yates Field House and Regents Hall are beginning to reopen. LeaveyCenter eateries, including Starbucks, Subway and Students of Georgetown, Inc. locations, were also slated to open by 10 a.m.

Around D.C., a few services are also beginning to resume normal operation. WMATA announced that it will restore limited bus and rail service around 2 p.m. Tuesday and expects to return to full service Wednesday morning.

Still, damage from the hurricane lingers. The university is dealing with dozens of maintenance requests caused by flooding from the storm. Across the District, more than 1,700 households are still without power, according to the website of D.C. electronic service provider Pepco. Outages are heavily concentrated in the northwestern extreme of the city. A Tuesday press release from Pepco said that it expects to restore power to most of its customers by 8 a.m. Wednesday.

The heavy rains have also swollen the water level in the Potomac. According to The Post, a flood warning is in effect for the section of the river that flows past D.C. and water levels could rise two to four feet above normal tide. A flood warning has also been issued for Rock Creek.