New CSP Admin Chosen

Amanda Carlton, an administrator at the University of California, Berkeley, will become the adviser for the Student Activities Commission and associate director of student programs on Feb. 15.

Carlton, who serves as interim director of UC Berkeley’s Center for Student Leadership, will replace Bill McCoy, who left the university in August to become director of the Office of LGBT Awareness atBucknell University.

While Carlton will fill a position that has been vacant since the beginning of the year, another post in the Center for Student Programs opened last week when Assistant Director of Student Programs Kathryn Kay left to become director of orientation and leadership at the University of Utah. Kay had also served as the adviser for New Student Orientation, the Lecture Fund and the Graduate Student Organization at Georgetown.

“It’s been a little tough, but everyone’s just working a little harder and giving more of a time commitment to help the office transition,” SAC Chair Jack Appelbaum (COL ’14) said of the CSP personnel changes.

Appelbaum participated in the search process that resulted in Carlton’s hiring.

“We really liked the experience Carlton had dealing with a lot of difficult issues at Berkeley,” he said. “She impressed us with her knowledge of leadership, funding allocation and a lot of issues that student groups face.”

Carlton was chosen by an eight-person committee comprised of three students and five faculty members.

Appelbaum is confident that Carlton will be a strong asset to the CSP.

“We’ll expect a little bit of a learning curve, but I have confidence that she’ll pick up immediately and help student groups when she gets to campus,” he said.

Director of Student Affairs Erika Cohen-Derr also believes that Carlton’s arrival will benefit Georgetown.

“Amanda Carlton has the right combination of experience, talent and professional philosophy to support student learning through co-curricular involvement in an academically engaging, diverse campus community,” she wrote in an email.