BeWell Week Expands Focus

BeWell Week, which promotes healthy habits and wellness with a series of educational activities for the student body, will expand this year with its kickoff Monday.

The event, in its third year, is sponsored by Health Education Services in partnership with several other on-campus groups, including Yates Field House and Dining Services.

“We’re always looking for opportunities to mention health to students and to help them be aware of the resources we have,” Health Education Services Director Carol Day said. “The week is a fun and engaging way to keep mentioning health and remind them of things they can do that are fun and interesting, and healthy at the same time.”

This year’s BeWell Week will run from Monday to Saturday. For the first time, each day of the week has been assigned a theme, such as “Breathe Well” or “Eat Well.” Most events will feature prizes and giveaways.

According to Student Health Center graduate assistant and part-time health educator Laura Marcucci, Student Health Services staff worked with 20 on-campus partners and five groups off campus to plan this year’s expanded event over the summer.

“In addition to the daily themes, we really wanted to take the events to the next level,” Marcucci said. “Last year, we had a regular 5k, and this year we are having a Crazy Run.”

Other new events include a kickball game on Kehoe Field, a yoga class at Lululemon exclusively for Georgetown students, puppy playtime on Copley Lawn and an alcohol-free BeWell Block Party.

“Many students, particularly freshmen or transfers, aren’t aware of the resources that Georgetown has to offer,” Marcucci said. “However, past evaluations have shown that BeWell Week has helped to increase awareness of these resources. By providing students with ways to take care of themselves and access help when they need it, we can ensure they have a great four years.”

Yates Field House will offer several free fitness classes, as well as free massages. According to Yates’ Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness Meghan Dimsa, the gym has taken on a bigger role in BeWell Week this year, including making a donation to the event.

“We’re going to be all in this year,” Dimsa said. “It’s really important to give students an opportunity to get involved in fitness and recreation. It puts the focus on health and fitness, so some people who might be intimidated have an opportunity to experience it in a lot of ways.”

The Women’s Center is collaborating with RU Ready and the I Am Ready Campaign to co-sponsor a table that will provide information about sexual assault.

Georgetown Dining Services will also participate by offering tours of O’Donovan Hall and consultations with Georgetown’s nutritionist about eating healthy and meeting dietary needs at Leo’s.

“We want students and customers to be aware of all the healthful options we offer,” Dining Services Marketing Director Adam Solloway said. “We do highlight everything throughout the week as well.”