Cupcakes For Cancer

Pink lahhafs and tables piled with cookies, cakes iced pink and cupcakes rivaling D.C.’s Georgetown Cupcakes filled the SFS-Qatar campus this week in a fundraising event for breast cancer.

Organized by Arwa Elsanosi Mohamed (SFS-Q ’14), a volunteer for Think Pink Qatar, a nonprofit organization that works to raise awareness about breast cancer, the bake sale on Oct. 3 featured tasty treats and head scarves in breast cancer pink.

Mohamed and other Georgetown students and staff, in addition to representatives from Think Pink Qatar, sold the confections to a crowd of students, faculty and staff, kicking off Breast Cancer Awareness Month. At the end of the day, they raised over $270, all of which will go toward the Qatar National Cancer Society. Mohamed’s work is unique, as breast cancer is a taboo subject in some Middle Eastern cultures.

“On a more personal level, one of my strongest motivations for raising awareness about breast cancer stems from the fact that my own aunt passed away three months ago due to the disease. Being able to witness what it felt like for a family to cope when a member got afflicted, I can understand just how hard such an experience can be,” Mohamed said.

Elena Lopez Khoury, who works at the SFS-Q’s Student Wellness and Counseling Center, helped with the bake sale.

“I have been amazed at Arwa’s enthusiasm and commitment to the cause, and I truly feel it has inspired so many others. This was evident in both the outpouring of generosity from staff, faculty and students (some even outside of GU-Q) to bake and provide goods for the bake sale, as well as the extreme generosity of those who not only purchased the baked goods but donated additional money for this worthy cause,” she said.

Apart from the bake sale, Mohamed is gearing up for another Think Pink Qatar event, a walk along the corniche (a walkway in Gulf countries along the sea) with an entire team from SFS-Q. This year, the walk will be held on Oct. 29 with a focus on how breast cancer can also affect men.