New Mascot Out of Limelight

DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA
Jack, formally known as John B. Carroll, is settling into life on campus, though he has yet to cheer on the Hoyas at Verizon Center.
DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA Jack, formally known as John B. Carroll, is settling into life on campus, though he has yet to cheer on the Hoyas at Verizon Center.
DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA

Since arriving on campus in October, new mascot Jack, formally known as John B. Carroll, has quietly settled in with his caretaker and six dog-walkers on the Jack Crew. As he adjusts to his duties on campus, however, he remains absent from his predecessors’ stage on the court at Verizon Center.

“We are going to hold off on having Jack perform at the games this season.  We have spoken to the Athletic Department, and although he is very well behaved and training well, we think that it would be best to slowly acclimate him to the overwhelming scene at the Verizon Center,” Jack Crew Head Kevin Voorhees (MSB ’15) wrote in an email.

While students may miss their mascot on the court at halftime, Jack can still be found around campus.

In addition to attending several men’s and women’s athletic games throughout the fall, Jack has also been visiting Verizon Center before Georgetown men’s basketball games to get accustomed to his future stage. He has also made appearances at various campus events, such as Georgetown’s recent birthday celebration.

Jack will continue to attend some official on-campus Georgetown events and support men’s and women’s athletics throughout the spring. He will also continue informally meeting students, faculty and staff during his many walks on campus and his impromptu visits to student spaces such as Lauinger Library.

His caretaker, McKenzie Stough (COL ’13), and members of the Jack Crew are excited about what the future holds for him.

“He goes on his daily walks and is commonly exposed to many students, neighbors and faculty,” Voorhees wrote. “He interacts well with everyone and is extremely friendly and playful. We use our discretion in situations that become too crowded or overwhelming.”

Stough expressed appreciation to the Jack Crew for their help with Jack’s transition, and Crew members voiced excitement for the mascot’s progress.

“The Jack Crew and I have been thrilled by Jack’s progress so far,” Stough wrote in an email. “Learning to be a mascot takes a lot of practice, but his intelligence and eagerness have allowed him to adjust quickly to campus life.”

Though the downsized six-member Jack Crew are taking it slow with the new mascot, Stough feels that Jack’s attitude shows promise for his tenure on campus.

“He is a naturally curious dog who enjoys meeting new people and exploring new places and we have been working hard to give him the opportunity to express this curiosity in all parts of the community,” Stough said.

“He is only about seven months old and can understand all basic commands.  He is very obedient most of the time and in the process of learning some new tricks and commands,” Voorhees wrote. “However, he is still a puppy and there is a lot more work to be done.”

Despite the news that the dog will not be available to bolster spirit at Verizon Center, Bulldog Advisory Committee member and GUSA Vice President Adam Ramadan (SFS ’14) expressed satisfaction with the process.

“Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the university’s decision to continue the live mascot tradition on campus, and even more pleased to see that the training process is so rewarding,” Ramadan said.

Students frustrated with this season’s basketball performance have adopted a more negative tone.

“Losing Jack for the home game is worse than losing Josh Smith. The dog is much more energetic,” Chris Kelly (COL ’17) said.

However, Rebecca Anthony (COL ’16) understood why caretakers would want to be particularly vigilant with the young puppy.

“I guess it’s good that they are being cautious with Jack because of what happened with JJ, but Georgetown is known for having a bulldog at games. The team is doing so poorly this year that we really need another draw for students to come to games and have school spirit,” Anthony said.