Kickback Lineup Posted

COURTESY THE CORP The Knocks, an electronic music group made up of Ben “B-Roc” Ruttner and James “JPatt” Patterson, will co-headline.
COURTESY THE CORP
The Knocks, an electronic music group made up of Ben “B-Roc” Ruttner and James “JPatt” Patterson, will co-headline.

The full lineup of The Corp’s inaugural music and arts festival was announced Monday, setting the stage for co-headliners The Knocks and MisterWives.

Kickback will open Sept. 1 with The Unforgiven, a cover band well-known in the Georgetown area, followed by two student artists — Peter Fanone and Tigers Are Bad For Horses — and three professional acts. COIN will open the professional set, with The Knocks closing out the night.

With Kickback, Students of Georgetown Inc. aims to welcome back students with a daylong schedule of activities, from 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. that allows for student prerogative.

“You can just spend all day in the actual venue, totally free to move in and out,” Corp CEO Sam Rodman (MSB ’15) said. “We’re billing it as a music and arts festival, but we want to make sure it’s a little more broad than that.”

To that end, the organizers — The Corp and Welcome Week — have designed an insular event, replete with games, food vendors and activities. The event has amassed external and internal sponsors (including The Hoya) to cover different aspects of the event. GU Art Aficionados will provide an installation of giant coffee cups attendees can spray paint, while Zipcar will loan a car on which attendees can draw. Several food trucks, including Surfside, will cater the event, while City Sports will sell Kickback-themed apparel.

“Welcome Week is under CSE, meaning we have access to benefits while The Corp does not, so much of my involvement has been around logistics like reserving space for the event,” Welcome Week Coordinator Sari Frankel (COL ’15) said.

The $10 ticket fee guarantees admission, free handouts, food items and drinks, which will be provided by long-term Corp partner Coca Cola.

Copley Lawn will be barricaded, with a controlled entrance by the Healy Gates. The cutout in front of White-Gravenor Hall will host a 20-by-24-foot stage.

The eclectic lineup aims to appeal to a wide array of the student body. Student acts, which are unpaid, were chosen based on a desire to achieve musical diversity.

Peter Fanone (COL ’15) has put together a full band, self-described as “indie-influenced alternative rock” for his first live performance in front of a large audience.

“I have been working on recording stuff for the past six years or so … and I finally wanted to try it live,” he said. “I just wanted to get some more experience working with professional groups and with fellow musicians to make a great sound and try something I’ve never done before.”

Mary Ellen Funke (SFS ’15), formerly of Mellenfolly and Mellen, will perform with Lyell Roeder (COL ’13), as part of new project Tigers Are Bad For Horses.

“We’re experimenting with more electronic sounds but there are also hints of jazz piano, and I’ll be singing, so it’s a mixture of genres that’s pretty new for me but also exciting. We’ve only been collaborating officially since this May so it’s all a bit of an experiment as we’ll try to find our style,” Funke, who first heard of the event through her involvement in The Corp, wrote in an email.

Giant’s Causeway, another student group, was originally set to perform, but pulled out after a band member broke a foot.

Each student act will perform a 25-minute set, while the professional artists will play for 45 minutes to an hour.

“We’re excited to play at Georgetown. Every time we play a show in D.C., it’s a blast,” The Knocks wrote in a statement through The Artists Organization representative Matt Robin. “[There is] something in the water down there that makes kids want to dance.”

The organizers have found the university and neighboring community to be supportive, and aim to establish a tradition for years to come.

Ticketing is open online, in Red Square and near O’Donovan Hall. Prices go up to $12 on Saturday and will retail for $15 on the day of the event. The event has a cap of 4,000 people.

“We’re definitely not looking to make a profit, it’s not really in the spirit of the event. If we do, we’ll come up with some sort of philanthropic scholarship,” Rodman said.