Lombardi Honors Stuart Scott

The Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center and the NFL Players Association honored ESPN anchor Stuart Scott last Saturday for his inspirational and public seven-year battle against cancer. Due to Scott’s ongoing treatment, fellow anchor Jay Harris accepted the award on his behalf.

Harris accepted the award at the 28th Annual Lombardi Gala, a black-tie event that started with a VIP reception, followed by a silent auction. The items on offer ranged from various sports memorabilia to art and entertainment pieces, with all proceeds going to cancer research. Following the introduction, the awards ceremony began. Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) spoke about his own fight against bladder cancer, praising the employees at the Lombardi Center.

“These people cared more about something bigger than themselves,” Rogers said.

Rogers also provided some comic relief when he recounted the time his brothers filled 110 specimen cups with beer.

The mood quickly turned more reflective and somber when Samuel Foster Jr., president and CEO of FosterSoft, Inc., was given the Margaret L. Hodges Leadership Award. Throughout his speech, Foster held back tears while talking about how cancer has impacted his life. He also mentioned his wife and daughter’s support for him in his efforts to help find a cure.

“Let’s make this thing, cancer, a thing of the past,” Foster said, ending his speech.

The executive director of NFLPA, DeMaurice Smith, came on stage to present the NFL Players Association Georgetown Lombardi Award.

“One day, we will not have to have this dinner. We will have beat cancer,” Smith said, embodying the purpose of the gala.

Smith’s speech focused on Scott’s love of football. Scott played for the club team at the University of North Carolina and also enjoyed travelling to NFL Monday night games. Smith reminded the audience that Stuart Scott was being honored, “for his tenacity and his fight.” A video montage of Scott, narrated by Harris, followed Smith’s remarks.

The video — especially the clip of Scott’s ESPY Awards speech — left many in tears. Harris, who walked on to the stage after the montage, found himself struck by the video as well.

“Wow… that’s my dude,” Harris said at the beginning of the speech. “Cancer. I hate that word. Can’t stand that word. It affects us all.”

Harris described the admiration he has for Scott. He told the audience about the morning of the ESPYs when all his colleagues were talking about how Scott did 300 pushups. In honor of his sick friend, Harris says he now wakes up and does 300 pushups every morning. Harris closed with a simple but powerful message: “Our lives mean so much.”

The gala ended with a Lexus raffle, along with a night of dancing. Despite the entertainment, the goal of the gala was to leave guests with a greater understanding of how important it is to find a cure for cancer. The disease extends beyond sports and into all facets of life.

DeMaurice Smith launched the campaign to raise $50,000 over the course of the night with his own donation of $2,000, and many people were quick to follow suit. Both Smith and Harris recognized the importance of finding a cure and the negative effects it has had on their friend’s life.

Scott remains an idol for all those suffering from cancer. Time and time again, Scott has defeated cancer, and done so stoically.

“You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and the manner in which you live,” Scott said in his ESPYs speech.

His perseverance against the cancer that returned in 2011 and 2013 makes his words ring true. Scott has faced many challenges, yet it is his positive outlook on life that allows him to keep moving forward. Nights like Saturday remind everyone about the importance of finding a cure.