Women’s Golf | Florida-Bound for Big East tournament

After earning three consecutive top-four finishes, the Georgetown women’s golf team is looking to carry its momentum to Daytona Beach, Fla., where the team will compete in the Big East tournament.

Georgetown has placed among the top five teams in three events this spring, including a team win at the Hoya Invitational at the end of March.

“I’m really looking forward to playing this week,” Head Coach Kate Brophy said. “We’ve had a really great year and a terrific spring with a lineup of young women who are really growing together day by day and event by event. I think some of the success we’ve had this spring has shown us what we can accomplish, and hopefully that will materialize this week.

Last year at Daytona Beach, the Hoyas’ season ended when they finished second out of six teams in the Big East championship. This year, they look to bring home first place.

“After finishing as the runner-up last year, our expectations are pretty high for this year’s Big East,” junior co-captain Mackenzie Boydston said. “Winning is the goal, but at the same time, the entire team and Coach Brophy have a good perspective on everything and want to stick to our game plans for the duration of the tournament. Personally, a Big East win would mean so much especially after finishing in second last year. … Winning the Big East would be a tremendous achievement and would solidify the hard work and long hours we’ve put in this season at practice and in past tournaments.”

Led by co-captains Boydston and junior Patricia Lee, the team has received solid contributions all year from freshmen Jacquelyn Eleey and Lauren Gros.

Eleey boasts the team’s lowest scoring average at 76.60 on 10 rounds this spring. She finished tied for second place at the Hoya Invitational and has two top-10 finishes overall. Boydston and Gros are tied for the second lowest scoring averages on the team, each at 78.70.

As a co-captain, Boydston has made sure that her team has put in the work to be prepared for its most important tournament of the season.

“The team has worked a lot on short putts and lag putting as well as chipping and pitching leading up to the tournament, which are the keys to playing well at Big East,” Boydston said.  “From a mental perspective, I have made sure to go into the tournament with a good idea of my on-course strategy. The entire team is definitely ready to play well after having a great season this fall and spring semester.”

Boydston has played especially well as of late, finishing sixth overall at the Hoya Invitational and posting a 2-over par 74 in the second round of last week’s Pirate Invitational. She has also played well in the past at the Big East tournament, finishing in a tie for second place last year.

Boydston says that she and Lee draw on their past experiences to guide the freshman talent on the team.

“Patricia and I played in the LPGA International last year and know the course relatively well, so we can use our knowledge to help the freshmen create good game plans heading into the first round,” Boydston said. “Overall, we have positive expectations for the tournament and are really excited to be playing in this championship tournament.”

Above all, the team believes it can bring home first place.

“We have won two tournaments this season, and this has shown to everyone on the team that we have the capability of winning the championship,” Boydston said. “The women’s golf team is growing as a program, and I’m really excited to see our efforts and talent put on display this week.”

The Big East Tournament begins Thursday morning at 8 a.m. in Daytona Beach and concludes Saturday.