Football | Hoyas Prepare for Passing Attack

High off its first win of the season, the Georgetown football team (1-1, 0-0 Patriot League) will face Dartmouth (0-0) this Saturday at home. It will be the Big Green’s first game of the season.

“They’re a good football team and we’re also a good football team, and we’re going to come out swinging just as they are, and every week we’re just trying to get better, to be better than we were last week,” senior running back Jo’el Kimpela said.

Still with teammate and junior linebacker Ty Williams in their thoughts following his severe neck injury from the first week’s game against Saint Francis, the Hoyas are looking to rally around their teammate.

“We’re playing for Ty, we’re playing for our friends and we’re playing for our family, and we’re going to do whatever it takes to get better on the next play,” sophomore defensive back David Akere said.

Last week, the Blue and Gray defeated Marist (0-2) 34-7. The Hoyas were led by senior quarterback Kyle Nolan, who completed 21 of his 34 passes for 200 yards and two touchdowns. Junior wide receiver Justin Hill caught five passes for 64 yards and two touchdowns.

On the other side of the ball, the defense held its opposition to one touchdown, recording two interceptions and three sacks. Still, the defensive players have challenged each other to do better in the next week.

“It’s like a brotherhood with our defense. We all trust each other to make plays and believe that everyone has their own responsibility and their own job so if you do your job great, we’re all going to do great together,” Akere said.

The Hoyas will look to capitalize on their home-field advantage as they play their second consecutive game at home. In addition, the team is focused on neutralizing Dartmouth senior quarterback Dalyn Williams, who completed 67.5 percent of his passes for 2,119 yards, 21 touchdowns and only three interceptions. Williams also rushed for 444 yards and had six touchdowns last season.

“We need to be able to get some chunk plays against them and do a really good job in the kicking game to keep the field position the way we want it, to be able to neutralize their quarterback,” Head Coach Rob Sgarlata said.

Sgarlata is also focused on humility, saying that the team should always focus on working hard for the next play rather than celebrating about the previous one.

Not only is this humility necessary on the field for success, but it is also crucial off the field. The team is focused on remaining consistent and working hard in its preparations throughout the week.

“For our guys, it’s all little things,” Sgarlata said. “It’s being dressed the right way, being five minutes early for meetings, making sure you got the right gear on; it’s making sure you got the game plan with you all the time.”

With both the offense and defense exploding last week, Georgetown’s challenge this week will be to maintain its level of play. Williams’ injury has been a strong force of motivation for the team to earn another win for him.

“There’s not a minute that goes by when our kids aren’t thinking about him,” Sgarlata said. “He’s a huge part of what we’re doing and we just look forward to getting him back here on the Hilltop pretty soon.”