Football | Hoyas Prepare for Undefeated Crimson

FILE PHOTO: ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA Senior quarterback Kyle Nolan threw for 264 yards and two touchdowns in Georgetown’s recent 24-16 win over Columbia.
FILE PHOTO: ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA
Senior quarterback Kyle Nolan threw for 264 yards and two touchdowns in Georgetown’s recent 24-16 win over Columbia.

After bringing home the Lou Little Trophy from Columbia University last Saturday, the Georgetown football team (2-2, 0-0 Patriot League) will look to carry its momentum into a televised game this Friday against Harvard (2-0, 1-0 Ivy League). Harvard is currently on a 16-game win streak going back to the 2013 season. With many returning players on the Crimson’s roster, the Hoyas have a tough matchup ahead of them.

“We know that they can score, we know they’re a very good team,” senior defensive back Ettian Scott said. “They’re very sound; they’re real smart.”

When Georgetown faced Harvard last season, it lost 34-3 in front of its home fans. Georgetown allowed 265 rushing yards and 293 passing yards. Its pass rushers were neutralized by the Crimson and were therefore unable to put pressure on Harvard’s quarterback.

On the other side of the ball, the Hoyas recorded a field goal on their opening drive but never made it into the end zone. With both its offense and defense stronger this season, Georgetown will look to improve on its execution against Harvard in this short turnaround.

“[We want] to be really prepared for that game and come out and play Hoya football,” senior wide receiver Jake DeCicco said. “That’s what we’re focused on doing.”

Harvard has an explosive offense led by senior quarterback Scott Hosch. In its first two games this season, Harvard scored 41 and 53 points, respectively. So far, Hosch has connected for six touchdown passes and recorded a 65.2 percent completion rate. In the team’s last game against Brown, freshman running back Noah Reimers scored his first two career touchdowns while Hosch added three touchdown passes. The Blue and Gray’s defense will look to stay consistent against the Bears’ offensive threats.

“We got our principles, we got our roles, and we got our keys. We read them and we make plays,” Scott said. “We also have a mindset that if they do have success we’re not going to hang our heads down and get discouraged. We’re going to keep battling the next play mentality.”

On defense, the Crimson forced four turnovers that resulted in 28 points, recorded two safeties and one blocked punt.

Last Saturday, the Hoyas defeated Columbia (0-2, 0-0 Ivy League) 24-16 at Robert K. Kraft Field. Senior quarterback Kyle Nolan threw for 264 yards and recorded two touchdown passes and one rushing touchdown. Junior wide receiver Justin Hill continued his strong play, catching four balls for a career-high 118 yards and hauling in two touchdown passes.

“We want to play a competitive schedule out of conference because once you get into conference play, you know, right now, it’s anybody’s shot in the league,” Head Coach Rob Sgarlata said.

This game against Harvard is Georgetown’s last nonconference game of the season. Coming up, the Hoyas will continue focusing on the competitors as they come.

“For us, I think it’s been a good out-of-conference schedule,” said Sgarlata. “We gained a lot of experience. We got some of our young players some experience and the big thing is, we don’t look down the road very much.”

The Hoyas will look to end the Crimson’s win streak when they match up under the lights at Harvard Stadium in Cambridge, Mass. The game will be televised on ESPN3 and is set to start at 7 p.m.