Men’s Basketball | White to Transfer Out of Program

MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA
FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA

After missing all but seven of the 33 games in the 2015-16 basketball season, junior forward Paul White will transfer, per a press release Thursday. In those seven games, White averaged just 9.6 minutes per game and 1.6 points per game.

The 6-foot-8 forward was an integral part of the 2014-15 team that made the second round of the NCAA Tournament, averaging 5 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game in 18 minutes per game.

White possessed the ability to both shoot and create off the dribble and was often times the first player off the bench for Head Coach John Thompson III. The return of senior forward Akoy Agau and emergence of sophomores forwards Marcus Derrickson and Kaleb Johnson will have likely limited White’s minutes. Before White’s transfer, there were 14 scholarship-eligible players on the roster and only 13 scholarships available.

The school, however, did not provide a reason for the junior’s transfer. While there are no reports as to what schools are looking to add White, — especially this late into the recruiting window — per NCAA regulations, White will have to sit out one year before playing.

Thompson and the rest of the team could not be reached for comment at press time.