WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Hoyas Fall to 7th in Big East With Loss to Red Storm

On Sunday, the Georgetown women’s basketball team fell to the St. John’s team with a score of 63-71, pushing the Hoyas to seventh in the Big East with four games left to go before the Big East Tournament.

When the two teams last played on Jan. 12, St. John’s (15-11, 8-7 Big East) routed Georgetown (11-13, 6-8 Big East), 64-41. While Sunday’s game was more competitive, the result was ultimately the same.

Over the course of the game, the Hoyas forced 19 turnovers and committed just six of their own, leading to 17 more shot attempts than the Red Storm throughout the game.  However, Georgetown had fewer assists and was outrebounded 39-32 on the glass. The Hoyas also failed to convert on their additional shot opportunities, shooting just 33.9 percent from the field while allowing the Red Storm to shoot 48.9 percent.

Head Coach James Howard noted that the team’s low field goal percentage was a result of poor execution on open looks.

“We’re not capitalizing on opportunities and attempts at the rim,” Howard said in an interview with GUHoyas. “When you’re playing a good team, you have to make your layups and open jumpers, and we didn’t today.”

CAROLINE PAPPAS/THE HOYA
The Georgetown women’s basketball team fell to 7th in the Big East with Sunday’s loss to St. John’s, marking the Hoyas’ second loss to the Red Storm this season.

The matchup was a game of runs, with the Red Storm jumping out to an early lead and the Hoyas playing catch-up throughout the game. St. John’s took an eight-point lead halfway through the first period and led by six at the end of the quarter.

St. John’s expanded its lead to 11 points in the second quarter, but a three-pointer from junior guard Dionna White at the buzzer cut the Red Storm’s lead back down to six points at the half, with a score of 26-32.

Georgetown’s momentum carried over to the second half, and free throws by White in the third quarter put the game within two points, 37-39. Still, the margin was the closest the Hoyas would get once the Red Storm went on an 8-0 run in the following two minutes. The Hoyas were behind the rest of the game and were only to trade buckets.

Senior guard Mikayla Venson led the team in scoring with 18 points. White pitched in 17 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals while senior forward Cynthia Petke had a double-double with 12 points and a team-high 11 rebounds.

The points off the bench were a stark differentiator in the game; Georgetown played seven players total, and only one player off the bench, sophomore guard Morgan Smith, scored. St. John’s, on the other hand, had 19 points off the bench from three different players.

Georgetown next plays Feb. 16 against current Big East conference leader DePaul (20-6, 12-2 Big East). In the teams’ last matchup, DePaul won 78-62 and is currently on a six-game winning streak. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m.