New Senior Associate Dean Assumes Role

Dr. Adanna Johnson, coming from Loyola University MD, assumed her role this summer as the Senior Associate Dean of Students and Director of Diversity, Equity and Student Success. Johnson brings with her years of experience handling issues pertaining to diversity and representation in higher education.

Adanna J. Johnson, a former associate professor of psychology and director of the African and African American studies program at Loyola University Maryland, was named the Senior Associate Dean of Students and Director of Diversity, Equity and Student Success this summer.

Johnson, who also co-chaired the establishment of university-wide Racial Justice Training Implementation at Loyola University, will supervise the CMEA and convene university-wide councils addressing issues of diversity and student access and success, according to a university spokesperson.

Her work will support the American Talent Initiative, an alliance of universities, of which Georgetown is a founding member, to increase the number of low- and moderate-income students at top performing undergraduate universities.

“In this new role, Dr. Johnson will provide leadership for a broad range of work focused on student access and success, on our diversity and inclusion work with students, and in contributing to Georgetown’s work with the American Talent Initiative,” a university spokesperson wrote to The Hoya in an email.

The CMEA oversees and hosts residential programs such as La Casa Latina and the Black House; admission events such as Hoya Saxa Weekend, which functions similarly to GAAP Weekend but can better accommodate first generation and low-income students who face socioeconomic barriers; and the Community Scholars Program. The Community Scholars Program invites low-income and first-generation college students to participate in a six-weeklong courses over the summer to assist incoming freshmen in their transition into college.

According to CMEA’s mission statement, the organization aims to improve the educational experience of students whose race or ethnicity could have excluded them from certain benefits and privileges afforded to other students at Georgetown.

A spokesperson for the university said Johnson’s work at Loyola will enable her to contribute greatly to the Georgetown community.

“She has published extensively on a range of topics, with a particular focus on cultural competence and use of cultural approaches to healing as well as recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups in higher education,” the university spokesperson said. “Her long clinical experience working with clients further deepens the perspectives she will bring to her work at Georgetown.”

Outside of the CMEA, Johnson will report both to Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson and to Vice Provost for Education Randy Bass, according to the Office of the Provost.

Johnson’s research focuses on cultural competence and the recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups in higher education, according to the Office of the Provost’s website.

“We are excited about all the assets Dr. Johnson brings to Georgetown and to our students and look forward to continue welcoming her to the Hilltop this semester,” a university spokesperson said.

Johnson did not respond to request for comment by the time of publication.

Correction: This article has been updated to correct the spelling of Dr. Johnson’s name and clarify her position.