FIELD HOCKEY | Georgetown Edges Temple, Loses Momentum Versus Rutgers

After three recent wins, Georgetown now sits at third in the Big East standings with five games remaining.
Caroline Pappas/The Hoya

The Georgetown field hockey team extended its winning streak to three games after defeating Temple on Friday, Oct. 5. The team could not continue its unbeaten run, however, and fell to Rutgers on Sunday, Oct. 7.

On the road against Temple (2-10, 0-4 Big East) in Philadelphia, Georgetown (9-4, 2-2 Big East) won with a score of 3-2 in its fourth Big East game of the season.

Both teams started scoring early. The Owls scored just 25 seconds into the game. A minute and a half later, the Hoyas followed up with a penalty corner goal from junior forward Lindsay Getz, assisted by sophomore midfield Jax Van der Veen and sophomore back Ali Cronin.

Temple freshman midfielder Tali Popinko broke the tie in the 25th minute, scoring her first goal for the Owls and putting Temple up 2-1.

Temple held onto its 2-1 lead for the next 27 minutes, until the Hoyas made another penalty corner goal. Van Der Veen then fed a pass to Cronin, who tied the game 2-2.

Less than two minutes later, Georgetown was awarded a penalty stroke. Junior back Emily Fraser converted the penalty for the 3-2 lead, making her fifth goal of the season. Fraser’s goal proved to be the game-winner for the Hoyas.

Head Coach Christy Longacre said that she was concerned about the team’s energy levels coming into Friday’s game.

“It’s the middle of the season so the girls are getting a little bit tired, and it’s starting to pick up on the academic side,” Longacre said in an interview with The Hoya. “Friday we came out a little flat, but I commend the girls; they didn’t stop playing and we managed to come back. It was a good Big East win for us … and we learned a lot from that game.”

Two days later during their game against No. 15 Rutgers in New Jersey, the Hoyas did not fare as well as they were shut out 7-0.

Freshman forward Tayla Parkes chipped a shot past Georgetown freshman goalkeeper Ciara Weets to open the scoring in the 23rd minute.

Five minutes later, the Scarlet Knights scored again, this time on a penalty stroke, to carry a 2-0 lead into halftime.

Rutgers held its momentum through the second half and scored another five goals, four of which were scored in a span of ten minutes.

Senior midfielder Linde van Schaik tallied two goals in the second half for Rutgers, as did leading scorer sophomore midfield Daphne Groothuis, who totalled two goals throughout the contest. Junior forward Austyn Cuneo scored in the 67th minute, ending the game at 7-0.

Rutgers outshot Georgetown 25-6 in the contest. Georgetown’s six shots were split evenly between Fraser, Cronin and sophomore forward Cami Osborne, while Weets compiled nine saves.

Longacre emphasized that the Hoyas must improve their communication and management of opponents’ speed.

“This week we’re working on being able to maintain and control [the other team’s] speed, and making sure we’re communicating the whole time. It got a little quiet on Sunday — it needs to be a constant conversation on the field, especially against a really good team that can move the ball well,” Longacre said.

The Hoyas will be away in Virginia to face Liberty in their fifth Big East contest on Friday, Oct. 12 at 4 p.m. Georgetown will return to Cooper Field on Sunday, Oct. 14 to host Towson.