New Alumni Site Spies on Top Job Interviewers’ Questions

Most seniors dread the nail-biting job interview process that comes with leaving the Hilltop, but two Georgetown grads are at least trying to make the ordeal a little less nerve-racking.

Launched by Chip Malt (COL ’10) and Sanjay Murti (COL ’10), Interviewspy is a new website that gives interviewees access to over 150 typical questions posed during job interviews. Viewers can search the website for questions and answers and add their own content to the site based on previous interview experience.

The collaborative effort began during Malt and Murti’s junior year, when Malt, a computer science major, was preparing for an interview with Google. After scouring blogs and websites for commonly asked questions, he and Murti began to realize that companies often recycle their interview inquiries.

Then, during an interview with a different company, Malt was asked the same question Google had asked him in a previous interview. Malt and Murti came to the conclusion that no matter what company, similarly challenging questions tend to be standard in the interviewing world.

Keeping a spreadsheet full of questions that they had collected, Malt and Murti sought an outlet for their information, one that would hopefully help students navigate the process in the future.

After graduation, Murti, also a computer science major, began interning with Google — and began coding the Interviewspy website, which converted Malt’s and his database of questions into an interactive site that allows users to search for companies, find past questions and upload content.

The website enables job hunters to filter through information about the company, position and interview round. Users can also search broader fields including consulting, finance, consumer goods, education and technology. The website is free and does not require registration, and all posts are anonymous.

At the current time, the website covers interviews from 29 companies and the Harvard Business School. Few users have offered answers, though the site is still in its fledgling days and may gain popularity as more students emerge from school in a competitive job market.

“It aggregates different information from around the web into one place,” Malt said. “The site is a huge time saver.”

Students said that they might well use the site when embarking on their next internship or job search.

“Well, I definitely think it would be useful,” Kera Wright said (MSB ’13). “It just eases your mind.”

Wright said she has mixed feelings on the ethics of the site, but worries that those who don’t look up questions beforehand are putting themselves at a disadvantage.

“They’re not going to take pity on you because you did the right thing,” she said.