Student Victim of Attempted Robbery Near LXR

A student was the victim of an attempted robbery early Tuesday morning near LXR Hall and Prospect Street, according to a Public Safety Alert sent to the university community Tuesday evening.

At about 12:45 a.m. four males allegedly approached the student as he was walking from LXR to Prospect Street, the Department of Public Safety Alert said. One of the suspects showed the victim a badge, demanded that he empty his pockets and said that he was under arrest.

When the victim realized the suspects were not actual police officers, he used his cell phone to call the Metropolitan Police Department. The suspects then drove away in a black sedan without stealing anything. The victim was not injured.

Associate Director Joseph Smith said that the victim was founded in reaffirming that the suspects were not police officers.

“There is nothing wrong with calling 911 to confirm, or request that a uniform officer in a marked patrol car respond to the location,” he said in an email. “If you suspect something is amiss, get to a safe location and call MPD or DPS.”

The student described the suspects as four Latino males; one had a thin face and black, spiked hair, according to the student.

There has been one off-campus robbery this semester. On Feb. 2 a student was assaulted and robbed by three suspects at 33rd and O Streets.