GU Samaritans Lend a Hand

The Georgetown Samaritans, a new student organization first discussed as a possibility at the end of the fall semester, works in conjunction with Georgetown University Student Association to strengthen the bonds between Georgetown University and the local neighborhood.

The Georgetown Samaritans is the brainchild of GUSA, according to James Wright (COL ’11) a co-founder of the group.

“We had been working very hard to resolve the differences between the university and the outside community, what with the 61-D violations,” Wright said, referring to the citations issued by the Metropolitan Police Department for noise violations, the number of which has dramatically increased in the 2009-2010 school year.

“In the 10 years that the one complainant had lived in Georgetown, he had never met or been introduced to a Georgetown student,” Wright said.

Hoping to mend the relationship between the university and the surrounding community, Wright and other members of the executive board formed the Georgetown Samaritans. The group, founded this winter, quickly stepped up following the snowstorm that enveloped Washington this weekend.

Many of the locals were initially skeptical of the Samaritans’ intentions, according to Wright.

“Some of them were [distrustful] of us, thinking that we were pretending to be saintly,” Wright said.

However, this caution turned into enthusiasm, as many locals became appreciative of the Samaritans’ efforts. The Samaritan members cleared driveways, shoveled snow and completed whatever tasks the neighbors needed.

Wright claims that the group is not solely devoted to committing selfless deeds. Rather, the group’s key purpose is to strengthen the relationship with the town of Georgetown. Wright said he believes that the group, rather than being a formal, rigid society, would be a more responsive organization, by offering help without strict timelines.