A Carnivore’s Paradise at Country Hill

Five Stars

$$

I love eating meat. Although I may be just a short blond girl, I can put down a KFC Double Down in five minutes flat. Unfortunately, for the past few weeks I’ve been subsisting on Easy Mac and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because Leo’s is closed. However, I was recently able to convince my friends who are still around Georgetown to go with me to Hill Country, a barbecue place that was recommended to me where I could indulge my inner carnivore.

Hill Country is two blocks away from the Chinatown Metro stop, but as soon as we walked through the door, I felt like I was in Texas. Country music blared as the hostess escorted us to a long, family-style table. A roll of paper towels, a hallmark of a great barbeque joint, took the place of napkins.

Our waitress explained to us Hill Country’s unique way of ordering food, which is meant to emulate a Texas meat market. Each customer receives her own meal ticket, which includes all of the menu items. Once you’ve decided what you want, you walk to the meat counter and give the Pitmaster your ticket. I selected the Longhorn Brisket Chomp, which included a third of a pound of dry-rubbed lean brisket, an eight-ounce “Good Eatin’” side — I got the Longhorn Cheddar Mac & Cheese — and cornbread.

I collected my meat and sides on a tray and joined my friends back at our table. What followed can be classified only as a euphoric experience. I usually drink water at restaurants, but luckily, I decided to branch out and try the lemonade. I have never had better lemonade in my life (sorry, Grandma). It was fresh squeezed and deliciously sweet, worth a trip all on its own.

After I downed my lemonade, which was promptly refilled for free, I dug into my brisket. It was wrapped in paper with two slices of white bread. Despite the rustic trappings, the meat was tender and flavorful. Adding Hill Country’s sweet barbecue sauce made the flavor even more outstanding. I was given a hefty third of a pound, so there was no way I could finish it all, despite my best efforts. The waitress gave me a nifty doggie bag that heats in the oven at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, which makes cooking the leftovers easy.

Not to be outdone, the mac and cheese was both sharp and sweet. Made with penne pasta, the dish was as distinctive as the brisket. Another side option was potato salad, which my vegetarian friend enjoyed. The only problem: After all this food, I barely had room for the cornbread.

Since my friends and I went for lunch, we were unable to hear the live music that plays in the bar downstairs Tuesdays through Saturdays. Hill Country also stays close to its Texas roots in terms of music, so live acts range from blues to honky-tonk.

Despite missing out on the live music, my experience at Hill Country was top notch. The wait staff was friendly, and the food was amazing. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a large group or a casual meal with family. However, because of the long tables, there’s little privacy for an intimate date night. Regardless, all true meat lovers are hereby required to go to Hill Country.